"Under Ben Nevis" Top 5 Page for this destination Fort William by stevezero
Fort William Travel Guide: 223 reviews and 398 photos
Fort William (Gaelic: An Gearasdan, "The Garrison") is the largest town in the west highlands of Scotland. Originally based around the village of Inverlochy, where you can still find the castle ruins, the town lies at the southern end of the Great Glen, on the shores of Loch Linnhe and Loch Eil. It is close to Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the British Isles, and the beautiful Glen Nevis. The town is a major tourist centre with Glen Coe just to the south, and Glenfinnan to the west, on the Road to the Isles.
However, the town is not of local origin. It grew up as a settlement next to a fort constructed to control the population following Oliver Cromwell's invasion during the English Civil War, and then to suppress the Jacobite uprisings of the 18th century. The fort was named Fort William after William Of Orange, and the settlement that grew around it was called Maryburgh, after his wife. This settlement was later renamed Gordonsburgh, and then to Duncansburgh, before being renamed Fort William, this time after "Butcher" Cumberland. Given these origins, there have been various suggestions over the years to rename the town (for example, to Invernevis). These proposals have led to nothing as of yet.
The West Highland Line passes through Fort William. Owing to the difficult terrain in the area, the line from Glasgow, to the south, enters from the northeast and trains from Glasgow to Mallaig, the terminus of the line, have to reverse at Fort William.
The Caledonian Canal connects the Scottish east coast at Inverness with the west coast at Corpach near Fort William.
- Pros:handy, good shopping, good travel links
- Cons:can get busy
- In a nutshell:great place from which to explore the highlands
By 1815 the Jacobite threat had receded sufficiently into history to allow the erection at Glenfinnan of a monument to... more travel advice
Just north of Spean Bridge, where the main A82 crests the hill, is the dramatically imposing Commando Memorial, a bronze... more travel advice
stevezero's Related Pages
Fort William Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fort William - touristy town in highlands"
- "A home away from home"
- "Under Ben Nevis"
- "Fort William - Foot of Ben Nevis"
- "In the Shadow of the Ben..."
- "The highlands in the winter"
- "Fort William and the Ben Nevis range"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort William
- Hotels in Fort William
- Transportation in Fort William
- Nightlife in Fort William
- Restaurants in Fort William
- Shopping in Fort William
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort William
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort William
- 13 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Fort William?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort William
Photos in Fort WilliamSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 275 reviews, 771 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 114 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derbyshire Intro, 73 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 85 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 43 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 34 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 67 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Andrews Intro, 57 reviews, 60 photos