"Greenock - Seafaring Tradition" Greenock by stevezero
Greenock Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 57 photos
Geenock is a small town, 25kms or so west of Glasgow. It started life as a small village in the shadow of a long gone castle.
In the 1600's a pier and breakwater were built, and the shipbuilding tradition began along the foreshore. Later a harbour was built in 1710 and the industry really boomed and continued for many years.
In 1736 the town's most famous son, James Watt, was born here. His revolutionary redesign of old steam engines into much more efficient models, caused him to be one of the founding figures of the industrial revolution in Britain. Watt has not been forgotten by his birthplace, and the James Watt College was founded in the town in 1907. The campus moved to its present quayside location in 1973.
- Pros:The Sea, architecture, James Watt
- In a nutshell:Great Seaside Town
Newark Castle stands majestically well preserved next to the waterside of the Clyde. These days it is next door to a... more travel advice
Nice clean comfortable hotel, good friendly staff, clean rooms, good facilities, good price. Set right on the Clde... more travel advice
stevezero's Related Pages
Greenock Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Greenock - Seafaring Tradition"
- "Rons Greenock page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Greenock
- Hotels in Greenock
- Transportation in Greenock
- Nightlife in Greenock
- Restaurants in Greenock
- Shopping in Greenock
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Greenock
- 14 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Greenock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Greenock
Photos in GreenockSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 275 reviews, 771 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 114 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derbyshire Intro, 73 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 85 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 43 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 34 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 67 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Andrews Intro, 57 reviews, 60 photos