"Stirling - Historic Old Scotland" Top 5 Page for this destination Stirling by stevezero
Stirling Travel Guide: 255 reviews and 787 photos
Stirling is one of the most historic towns in Scotland, having gained its royal charter in 1226.
It straddles the main route north from the lowlands, at its narrowest point. It is for this reason that it has always had a strong strategic significance.
A castle was built early on the volcanic hill overlooking the modern town, and in medieval times it was a royal residence. A settlement followed on the Eastern hill near the castle.
The old town is a mixture of buildings from the 15th Century onwards, built in a manner of styles. The town though is still dominated by the mighty castle, perched high above on its rocky crag.
- Pros:Historic old buildings, atmospheric streets
- Cons:Gets busy
- In a nutshell:It's well on the tourist trail - a real must see!
A feature of Kippen Parish Church is the collection of bronzes. They are a selection of late Victorian and early 20th... more travel advice
Loch Venachar is a fair sized loch in the Trossachs National Park and is easily accesable with the A821 road running... more travel advice
stevezero's Related Pages
Stirling Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stirling - Historic Old Scotland"
- "William Wallace was taller than Mel Gibson, y'know"
- "Stirling Nine Hundred Years of History"
- "HISTORIC STIRLING"
- "VT-meeting in Stirling"
- "Stirling--a wonderful day & a chilling night"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stirling
- Hotels in Stirling
- Transportation in Stirling
- Nightlife in Stirling
- Restaurants in Stirling
- Shopping in Stirling
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stirling
- 32 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Stirling?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stirling
Photos in StirlingSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 275 reviews, 771 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 114 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derbyshire Intro, 73 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 85 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 43 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 34 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 67 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Andrews Intro, 57 reviews, 60 photos