"Gardens To Die For" Stourton by stevezero
Stourton Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 48 photos
Stourton is a village which once belonged to the great estate of Stourhead, near Warminster in Wiltshire. I must admit I had not heard of it before, but thumbing through the National Trust handbook, after just visiting Stonehenge, I thought for the price it must be worth visiting. Plus the fact it was more or less on our route to the South West, that clinched it - we were not to be dissappointed.....
Stourhead is a 2,650 acre (11 km²) estate at the source of the River Stour near Mere, Wiltshire, England. The estate includes a Palladian mansion, the village of Stourton, gardens, farmland, and woodland. Stourhead has been in the ownership of the National Trust since 1946.
- Pros:Fantastic house and gardens
- In a nutshell:DOn't miss it !
In the main house, of particular not is the Pope's Cabinet. The 4 m high Cabinet is worth between £8m and £12m. t is... more travel advice
stevezero's Related Pages
Stourton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stourhead - one of the great gardens of England"
- "Gardens To Die For"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Stourton
- 19 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Stourton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stourton
Photos in StourtonSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 275 reviews, 771 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 114 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derbyshire Intro, 73 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 85 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 43 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 34 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 67 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Andrews Intro, 57 reviews, 60 photos