"Turriff" Turriff by stevezero
Turriff Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 42 photos
Right in the heart of rural Aberdeenshire, Scotland where the Burn of Turriff flows into the river Deveron is situated the small town of Turriff.
The town dates back some 1000 years and can be traced back to a monastry which was sited here.
The oldest part of town is around Castle Street where you can still find the remains of St Congan's church, although sadly the castle is long since gone.
Turriff grew up primarily as a market town to serve the outlying rural areas and was in olden times well known for its abundance of drinking establishments (there are no shortage of watering holes even today)
The main A947 Aberdeen to Banff road runs through the town so it can get busy. At a quiet time though it is nice to admire the large number of red sandstone buildings, built from the locally quarried stone. What is now the Clydesdale bank on High Street (picturd above) , with its gothic towers and clock is a particularly striking example of the genre
Every year on the first Sunday of August, people come from all over Scotland and beyond for the two day agricultural show, the biggest two day event of its kind in Scotland. Apart from the agricultural entries, there is a lot more to see and do, with lots of stands, exhibitions, and even a fair.
At this time the town comes to life and gets very busy.
Now literally a second home to us the mill is a former meal mill which was converted to luxury appartments 1995 - 1997. The rear has views over the park and towards town. A railway formally ran in front of the building with the last train running in the 1960's.
- Pros:Small,friendly town,nice people
- Cons:Kids cruising at night
- In a nutshell:A real nice place to visit
S.T.B Grade Four Star 15 fully serviced seasonal stances. 42 touring stances with electric hook-up. 15 tent/touring... more travel advice
10 Rooms - En Suite Licensed Bar Full of local character more travel advice
stevezero's Related Pages
Turriff Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Turriff
- Hotels in Turriff
- Restaurants in Turriff
- Shopping in Turriff
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Turriff
- 18 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Turriff?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Turriff
Photos in TurriffSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 275 reviews, 771 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 114 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derbyshire Intro, 73 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 85 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 43 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 34 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 67 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Andrews Intro, 57 reviews, 60 photos