"Caesarea" Caesarea by stevezero
Caesarea Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 307 photos
On Christmas day (not a holiday in Israel) we took the bus up to the ancint port city of Caesaria.
Located on the shores of the Northen Sharon plain, it served as the capital of the country during the Roman and Bysantine periods and was a major port throughout the early Arab and Crusader periods.
The city was established in the third century BC as a phonecian settlement.
In the first century BC, the great king Herod constructed a well planned city on the site. He named it Caesaria in honour of his Roman patron, Augustus Caeser.
Among Herod's innovations was the building of a breakwater, the first in the country, which resulted in Caesaria becoming one of the most important maritime cities in the eastern Mediterranean. Caesaria also played an important part in the development of Christianity, but fell into decline after conquest in 639 AD.
The city came alive again during the Crusader period. The Crusaders, especially King Louis IX of Franca, rconstructed and fortified the city in 1265.Caesaria was then conquered by Sultan Baybars and the city went once more into steady decline
stevezero's Related Pages
Caesarea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Caesarea of Herod the Great"
- "Ancient City Of Caesarea"
- "Ralli Museum"
- "we took a day off and went to caesarea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caesarea
- Hotels in Caesarea
- Transportation in Caesarea
- Nightlife in Caesarea
- Restaurants in Caesarea
- Shopping in Caesarea
- Warnings and Dangers in Caesarea
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Caesarea
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Caesarea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caesarea
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 275 reviews, 771 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 114 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derbyshire Intro, 73 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 85 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 43 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 34 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 67 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Andrews Intro, 57 reviews, 60 photos
Latest Caesarea hotel reviews
- Dan Hotels Caesaria
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013