"Dolphins To Go" Top 5 Page for this destination Monkey Mia by stevezero
Monkey Mia Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 89 photos
Until the early 1960's Monkey Mia, situated on the Peron Peninsular of Western Australia, was an unremarkable place. It began as a centre for fishing and the hunting of pearls. Everything changed though after the locals began feeding the local bottle nosed dolphins the leftover fish.
Soon it transpired that the dolphins beagn to come right inshore to be fed, turning up at usually the same time each day.
News of this phenomenen soon spread, and the resort soon became to get popular.
The waters adjoining Monkey Mia were declared a Marine Park in November 1990. Commercial and recreational activities within the Marine park are now controlled.
the dolphins can now be seen coming ashore most mornings, but as they are wild creatures this can never be guaranteed, although you will mostly be lucky.
Monkey Mia is also home to other wildlife, notably a large colony of pelicans. They have obviously cottoned on to the fact that there is a free feed to be had, so hey why bother with the old diving for fish lark. That ones for the birds!
The birds add there own character to the place thogh, and their antics can be amusung, so let us say that thry earn their (fish) supper.
- Pros:fascinating wildlife, interaction with dolphins, great beaches.
- Cons:Getting a bit touristy
- In a nutshell:You have gotta do this one.
Relaxing and comfortable place to stay in nice town on Shark Bay. About 30 mins drive to Monkey Mia more travel advice
These ancient cyanobacteria often grow in colonies, trapping sediments with mucous to form great mats, or reefs of... more travel advice
stevezero's Related Pages
Monkey Mia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dolphins To Go"
- "Monkey Mia, Western Australia"
- "Monkey Mia ~ Home of Dolphins and Pelicans"
- "Monkey Mia and Hamelin Pool"
- "Monkey Mia and Dolphins"
- "Shark Bay"
- "Monkey Mia - dolphins are there somewhere"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monkey Mia
- Hotels in Monkey Mia
- Nightlife in Monkey Mia
- Warnings and Dangers in Monkey Mia
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Monkey Mia
- 11 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Monkey Mia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monkey Mia
Photos in Monkey MiaSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 275 reviews, 771 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 114 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derbyshire Intro, 73 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 85 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 43 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 34 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 67 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Andrews Intro, 57 reviews, 60 photos
Latest Monkey Mia hotel reviews
- Monkey Mia Dolphin Resort
- 249 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013