"Townsville, Queensland - The Best" Top 5 Page for this destination Townsville by stevezero

Townsville Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 149 photos

After spending several hours in Brisbane we continued our journey with a two hour flight to Townsville in tropical North Queenslnd.
Townsville is Australia's largest tropical city with a population of some 76000 people
The town of Townsville is dominated by the massive rock of Castle Hill rising from the flat coastal plain.

Townsville Prom

The Townsville foreshore has been changed dramitically over the last few years after a devastating cyclone struck the town. The Strand now boasts a lovely promenade and jetty, with fine beaches nad facilities.
From Townsville you can also visit Magnetic Island, 4km offshore. Regular ferries make the trip in about 25 minutes. The island has a bus service which doubles as an island tour. We visited several beautiful beaches including Arthur's bay where you can also snorkel on the coral reef.

Seagulls

In Townsville we stayed for 3 nights at The Seagulls Resort a short stroll from the prom and about 2kms from the town centre. It has two pools and extensive tropical gardens,

• Pros:Graet climate - in winter anyway, great beach
  • Cons:BIt hot in Summer? Jellyfish in Summer?
  • In a nutshell:Fantastic place - top of my list!
  • Intro Updated Dec 7, 2004

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2011 at 5:11 AM

Nice memories of Townsville and good tips :-) I was there myself and would really like to go back!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2005 at 4:43 AM

Steve, a nice little page on Townsville! I always wondered what this remote city looked like, since I never got any closer than Cairns!

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2005 at 12:10 PM

I thought that Townsville was quite nice but as you said it is very hot at times. Great page.

• australia2's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2005 at 6:03 PM

Good one Steve. I lived there for three years in the'50s.R.A.A.F. A few return visits since.Recent one early last December. Very,very dry - as mostly is!! Good pic of the Hill. Our flat just visible.A little,old,update just now.L.

• rwlittle's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2005 at 8:53 AM

Thanks for the photos...I used to live here, a long time ago, when I was still a kid, and I have very few recollections of the place...

stevezero

“"All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" - James T Kirk”

Badges & Stats in Townsville

Have you been to Townsville?

Latest Activity in Townsville