"The Old Hometown Looks The Same......." Top 5 Page for this destination Nottinghamshire by stevezero
Nottinghamshire Travel Guide: 569 reviews and 1,353 photos
Nottinghamshire - it's the English county where I was born.
It lies in the East Midlands region, and it is about as far as you can get from the sea in the Uk, being right in the centre of Britain.
I hail from Nuncargate, a small village near the town of Kirkby-in-Ashfield, some 20km north of the city of Nottingham.
Nuncargate's claim to fame is being the birthplace of collection of famous cricketers in the early 20th C., the most noatable of them being Harold Larwood.
Nuncargate, or Nuncar Gate as it is originally recorded, is speculatively said to derive from a gate on Nuncar hill that kept deer from wandering out of the forest into the cultivated fields of Kirkby Woodhouse.
Nuncargate saw growth in the 19thC to house workers for the many coal mines that sprung up in hte area. Sadly, they are now all closed and the area seeks regeneration.
Nottingham is the main city, and was recently voted the best place to live in the UK (who do these pollsters ask?) It could be because the city is notorious for its nightlife, especially of the weekend. There is also an active student community.
- Pros:Very central, good nightlife, Robin Hood, Stately homes, Sporting connections
- In a nutshell:Good place for a different weekend break
Easyjet also have direct cheap flights to Nottingham East Midlands Airport, from Spain, Germany, Italy, Portugal,... more travel advice
Here is another place recently revisted that brings back memories of my youth. Newstead Abbey is an historic building... more travel advice
stevezero's Related Pages
Nottinghamshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nottinghamshire, where I was born n bred!"
- "The Old Hometown Looks The Same......."
- "On Robin Hood's trail......"
- "Men in Tights"
- "gnt70's Nottingham Page"
- "Rob47's new Nottingham Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nottinghamshire
- Hotels in Nottinghamshire
- Transportation in Nottinghamshire
- Nightlife in Nottinghamshire
- Restaurants in Nottinghamshire
- Shopping in Nottinghamshire
- Warnings and Dangers in Nottinghamshire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nottinghamshire
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Nottinghamshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nottinghamshire
- Posted in Travel Scotland Forum "RE: Camping and visiting on a..."
- Wrote a Review Fly Easyjet in Nottinghamshire Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fly BMI Baby"
- updated a Nottinghamshire Travel Page "The Old Hometown Looks The Same......."
- Commented on one of suvanki's Nottinghamshire travel pages
Photos in NottinghamshireSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 275 reviews, 771 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 114 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derbyshire Intro, 73 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 85 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 43 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 34 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 67 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Andrews Intro, 57 reviews, 60 photos