"Passing Through Derbyshire" stevezero's Profile

Castles In the Air

We have recently returned from an extensive trip to North East England, the Borders and Scotland. Armed with Historic Scotland and English Heritage cards, we visited countless historic properties. Still sorting out 1500 photos taken during the trip, with highlights to follow.

The Whole Story

After several months membership of this illustrious group I thought it was about time I cobbled together a homepage and shared a few of my ramblings.
Firstly the picture above of my backyard. It's just to remind me that some of the best things in life can often be found right there on our doorstep. I am certainly going to make an effort to get out there and see some of the local places I have been meaning to go to for years.
A lot of them are currently being documented for these pages.

Still Passing Through

And the passing through bit? Well I guess we are all passing through somewhere or something. I have been passing through Derbyshire for the past 20 years and who knows I may yet get spit out through the other side.

Anyhow, can we move back to the beginning.
I was born and raised in a small village called Nuncargate in the county of Nottinghamshire, England. So small it doesn't feature on Vt.

5 points to anyone who has ever heard of it.
5 points to anyone who has ever been there.

Naturally like any small child I grew up thinking it was the centre of the known universe. In those days a coach trip to the seaside two hours away was a great adventure and a weeks holiday by the sea.... Wow!

>>Fast forward the boring bits and I find myself in my late teens working across the border in Derbyshire. 10 kms away and a different land. They dunt half talk funny here and use strange words I have never heard before.

Early travels

By this time I was with motorcycle and this opened up a whole new world. A group of us went to Wales on a camping trip. Turning up on two wheels we were made about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit. And it rained! Strangely enough I have never been back to North Wales since
Anyhow the travel bug bites and there is talk of going abroad properly. This time a colleague and I set of on the grand tour. Armed with our small scale map of the whole of Euope (about as much use as the perverbial chocolate fireguard) we board the overnight boat train in London bound for Ostende. Arrive early morning, more strange language - I thought I could use my schoolboy French here, wrong! Mental note to do a bit more research next time.
Lasting memory of Ostende - people drinking beer in the cafes at 6am - is this normal?.
Then its onto Brussels, statue of some kid urinating, and a big square thing. Back on train and up to Amsterdam, streets are flooded and old houses are falling into them, cycle graveyard .
Back on train and on to Eastern Holland, overnight in some town I can't remember. Ham and eggs for breakfast - civilisation at last. Onwards into Germany, another day, another country. End up in Dusseldorf, overnight airport hotel. No memories. Next day decide to hitchike - several scary / wierd rides later finds us in another new country - Luxemborg. Nice place this, remember the station well. Board train and head for Paris. Few nights here, big tower (even bigger than Blackpool) big cathedral, big river. Take boat train back to UK. Four or five days and saw bugger all really - but we would return.

I Shall Return

Next few years and more motorcycle trips overseas. End up in Luxemborg again and a chance meeting begins my love affair with Holland.
End up living in Ilpendam(NH) and working in Purmerend for two years.

5 points to anyone who has ever heard of Ilpendam.
5 points to anyone who has ever been there.

To be continued.......

• Intro Updated May 13, 2006

Personal Pages (1)

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Happy Birthday, Steve! Hope you are enjoying life and maybe one day will be back on VT.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Not here for nearly 8 years, hope we haven't lost you. Assume the cat will have passed by. Cheers, Ian

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2009 at 12:34 AM

Hi Steve! I was traveling and hope you were too on your birthday! Happy Belated Birthday. Janet

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Happy Birthday, Steve. Have a great day and many happy travels in the year to come. Hope you drop by to see this.:)

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2009 at 2:04 AM

Hi Steve. Just stumbled across your page and thought I'd say 'hi'! Bonar is gorgeous, although she almost looks like a cross between a domesticated tabby and a Scottish wild cat... I have 3 furballs myself. Have a great day / Jess

• Sisterhood's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2009 at 4:50 PM

hey, my friend and i wanna go to scotland in a few years, but we don't know where/what to go/do. we'd like to start in the highlands, hike our way across scotland down to London, then catch a plane back home. do you have any tips for us?

• Marisola's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2008 at 2:51 PM

I love your travelogue about Bonar the cat. My cat Charles has an interesting story on my Japan page!

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2008 at 2:49 AM

Happy Birthday, Steve!

• a2lopes's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2008 at 1:24 AM

Happy Birthday, Steve and many happy returns of the day. Greetings from Lisbon which is waiting for your visit next year for the Euromeeting

• a5floor's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2008 at 1:10 AM

Hi Steve, Happy Birthday!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
stevezero's Profile Photo

stevezero

“"All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" - James T Kirk”

Real Name