"Passing Through Derbyshire" stevezero's Profile
We have recently returned from an extensive trip to North East England, the Borders and Scotland. Armed with Historic Scotland and English Heritage cards, we visited countless historic properties. Still sorting out 1500 photos taken during the trip, with highlights to follow.
After several months membership of this illustrious group I thought it was about time I cobbled together a homepage and shared a few of my ramblings.
Firstly the picture above of my backyard. It's just to remind me that some of the best things in life can often be found right there on our doorstep. I am certainly going to make an effort to get out there and see some of the local places I have been meaning to go to for years.
A lot of them are currently being documented for these pages.
And the passing through bit? Well I guess we are all passing through somewhere or something. I have been passing through Derbyshire for the past 20 years and who knows I may yet get spit out through the other side.
Anyhow, can we move back to the beginning.
I was born and raised in a small village called Nuncargate in the county of Nottinghamshire, England. So small it doesn't feature on Vt.
5 points to anyone who has ever heard of it.
5 points to anyone who has ever been there.
Naturally like any small child I grew up thinking it was the centre of the known universe. In those days a coach trip to the seaside two hours away was a great adventure and a weeks holiday by the sea.... Wow!
>>Fast forward the boring bits and I find myself in my late teens working across the border in Derbyshire. 10 kms away and a different land. They dunt half talk funny here and use strange words I have never heard before.
By this time I was with motorcycle and this opened up a whole new world. A group of us went to Wales on a camping trip. Turning up on two wheels we were made about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit. And it rained! Strangely enough I have never been back to North Wales since
Anyhow the travel bug bites and there is talk of going abroad properly. This time a colleague and I set of on the grand tour. Armed with our small scale map of the whole of Euope (about as much use as the perverbial chocolate fireguard) we board the overnight boat train in London bound for Ostende. Arrive early morning, more strange language - I thought I could use my schoolboy French here, wrong! Mental note to do a bit more research next time.
Lasting memory of Ostende - people drinking beer in the cafes at 6am - is this normal?.
Then its onto Brussels, statue of some kid urinating, and a big square thing. Back on train and up to Amsterdam, streets are flooded and old houses are falling into them, cycle graveyard .
Back on train and on to Eastern Holland, overnight in some town I can't remember. Ham and eggs for breakfast - civilisation at last. Onwards into Germany, another day, another country. End up in Dusseldorf, overnight airport hotel. No memories. Next day decide to hitchike - several scary / wierd rides later finds us in another new country - Luxemborg. Nice place this, remember the station well. Board train and head for Paris. Few nights here, big tower (even bigger than Blackpool) big cathedral, big river. Take boat train back to UK. Four or five days and saw bugger all really - but we would return.
Next few years and more motorcycle trips overseas. End up in Luxemborg again and a chance meeting begins my love affair with Holland.
End up living in Ilpendam(NH) and working in Purmerend for two years.
5 points to anyone who has ever heard of Ilpendam.
5 points to anyone who has ever been there.
To be continued.......
Personal Pages (1)
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 2,034 Reviews
- 4,234 Photos
- 13 Countries
- 100 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
- stevezero and hevbell are now friends.
- Wrote a Review Upton House - Gardens in Warwickshire Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Upton House"
- updated a Warwickshire Travel Page "More Than Shakespeare"
- Commented on tissie's profile page
updated their Profile Page "Passing Through Derbyshire"
- Posted in Travel Scotland Forum "RE: Camping and visiting on a..."
PhotosSee All Photos (4234)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 275 reviews, 771 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aberdeen Intro, 114 reviews, 188 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derbyshire Intro, 73 reviews, 138 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 85 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 43 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 32 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 34 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway Intro, 67 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Andrews Intro, 57 reviews, 60 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22488 Reviews - 55061 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7927 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23330 Reviews - 48936 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2029 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3099 Reviews - 5883 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 781 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2059 Reviews - 3877 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22906 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26769 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos