"Welcome to Scotland!" Scotland by Craigellachie

Scotland Travel Guide: 12,704 reviews and 28,316 photos

A Forest Walk at Glenmore

I'm a Scot and I love Scotland. I love travelling around teh world but I'm not one of those Scots who knows the whole world except his own country :-)

As a starting point here are some pictures I took in August 2000 when I was on holiday at Glenmore near Aviemore. It's great walking country for all abilities - there's also a wheelchair route. This walk (waymarked in blue) is one of the more demanding ones. Remember to respect our Scottish mountains - they may not be very high compared with other countries' but the weather can change dramatically in a very short time. Make sure you have the right clothing, footwear, fitness and knowledge.

Variety is the spice of life

Loch Morlich is one of my favorite places. Mountain, forest and beach all in one place!Looking at the sandy beach you might be forgiven for thinking you were at the coast, but this is inland, amid the Cairngorms and seven miles from Aviemore. This is a popular watersports centre.

Ryvoan Bothy

This bothy does not look much in summer - just a bulding with no electricity, gas, water or sewerage. But if the weather changes suddenly, especially in winter, this simple shelter could be the difference between life and death.

• Pros:Mountains, rivers, lochs, forests, islands and cultured cities - you can have any kind of holiday here.
  • Cons:You need a flexible attitude to weather
  • In a nutshell:The biggest wee country in the world - you can stay here all your life and still have more to explore.
  • Intro Updated Jan 3, 2006

• kat-m's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2007 at 7:27 AM

learned something new about pik thanks

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2007 at 8:47 PM

I have often been to Scotland and enjoyed it a lot. I sure should pay a new visit, some time, as I am missing the country!

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2007 at 8:18 AM

A place I must visit seeing I am only relatively down the road!

Craigellachie Lives Here!

Craigellachie

“Nobody ever said on their deathbed that they wished they'd spent more time at work.”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Scotland

Have you been to Scotland?

Friends