"Starting with an Ancient City" Ayuthaya by idy
Ayuthaya Travel Guide: 688 reviews and 2,161 photos
Exited Bangkok International Airport and made my way to Don Muang Railway Station, where an ordinary diesel train took me 76 kilometres south to the ancient city of Ayutthaya.
Leaving the Ayutthaya Railway Station, I found a pier where boats ferried passengers across the Pa Sak River for a few baht. I hopped on.
Landed on U-Thong Road on the other side. U-Thong Road is the main road that circles the city centre (perhaps only considered the "centre" to visitors). According to the map, if you followed the road, you'll find yourself back at the same spot. Although I would've liked to put this theory to the test, time was short. (Definitely something to do next time, though! ^_^ )
Founded in 1350, Ayutthaya was the Thai capital for 417 years until it was destroyed by the Burmese in 1767.
Visitors to the city mainly come to see the numerous magnificent monastery ruins and palaces in the district. Most of these are within walking/cycling distance for those staying in the city centre.
The city is bright and hot, dusty and drowsy. Strolling along streets lined with short buildings and small shops, you may be surprised to stumble upon visages of the city's glorious past (in the form of small ruins), like hidden gems. Of course, these are child's play compared to sprawling sites like Wat Maha That and Wat Ratchabururana, but they really are one of the city's most unique features.
With Ayutthaya as a base, visitors can make day trips to visit the monkeys at Lop Buri, feel like a princess for a day at the Bang Pa-In Royal Palace, and even put their bargaining skills to the test in Bangkok.
Length of stay: 1.5 days, 1 night
Weather: Bright and sunny (almost swelteringly so), rained once in the late afternoon.
Accomodation: Baan Lotus
Expenditure: Approximately 780baht
1. Wat Yai Chaimongkhon
2. Wat Chaiwatthanaram
3. Tuk-tuk night tour of various wats
4. Chao Phrom Market vacinity
5. Bang Pa-In
6. Wat Ratchaburana
7. Wat Maha That
- In a nutshell:Sleepy and glorious at the same time!
At the market, you'll come across any number of food vendors selling a variety of local food, including mango salad, pad... more travel advice
Wat Maha That, or the Temple of Great Relic, is a sprawling temple located in front of the grand palace that was built... more travel advice
idy's Related Pages
Ayuthaya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Ancient City Glimpse..."
- "AYUTTHAYA -Fascinating Link with the Past"
- "The Ancient City of Ayutthaya"
- "Ayutthaya - Ancient City - A world heritage"
- "Old Heritage"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ayuthaya
- Hotels in Ayuthaya
- Transportation in Ayuthaya
- Nightlife in Ayuthaya
- Restaurants in Ayuthaya
- Shopping in Ayuthaya
- Warnings and Dangers in Ayuthaya
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ayuthaya
- 12 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Ayuthaya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ayuthaya
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Dumb question, but we aren't..."
- updated a Ayuthaya Travel Page "Starting with an Ancient City"
- Commented on one of chiabh's Ayuthaya travel pages
- Wrote a Review Where else for authentic local fare? in Ayuthaya Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Where else for authentic local fare?"
Photos in AyuthayaSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 29 reviews, 47 photos
- Singapore Intro, 24 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hokkaido Intro, 22 reviews, 34 photos
- Beijing 8 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 13 reviews, 17 photos
- Ayuthaya Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Belumut Range Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos
No friends yet.
Latest Ayuthaya hotel reviews
- Baan Lotus Guest House
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Tony's Place
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Krungsri River Hotel
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Ayutthaya Place Youth Hostel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2012
- Ayothaya Hotel
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- The Old Palace Resort
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- U-Thong Inn
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 29, 2012
- P.U. Inn Ubonpon
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 5, 2013