"My Homeland" Tabarz by elgin99
Tabarz Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 133 photos
That´s a picture from the Aschenbergstein. It is one of the impressive walking tours around my hometown. It is a rock high above the beautiful Felsental. The panoramic view is unique, impossible to do a picture which shows the wideness and deepness when you are standing high on the peak. I describe some nice walking tours in my following tips.
No snow in town? Then you should drive up to the mountain Inselsberg (916,5 ms), a great place for winter sports, only 3 miles far from the town Tabarz.
It is so funny to need only some minutes to be in a deep winter scenery. Sometimes it is like in a fairy tale.
Tabarz, my birth place and where I grown up. Tabarz lies in the southwest part of the Thuringian Wood, enclosed by mountains and forests. Already since 1876 the place is known as a health resort and by his good climate and his attractive surroundings (420 ms to 916,5 ms altitude). Since September, 2001 Tabarz is a state-approved Kneipp health resort.
The town has approx. 4,500 inhabitants, owns two health resort clinics (one aftercare clinic for cancer illnesses) 15 hotels and many inns, pensions, summer cottages as well as private accommodations. Clean air, many hiking and mountain biking possibilities, alpine climbing in the Lauchagrund, a golf course, tennis court and riding place, in winter traced cross-country trails, downhill runs with ski lifting and snow cannon, ski schools, ski and bicycle rental as well as the health resort and family bath " TABBS ". Thousands of vacationers and health resort guests use the good climate and the marvellous scenery for walks or wanderings. Even with oppressive heat in summer the Lauchagrund with his big old trees, the rocks, the cold and clear brooks is refreshing chill.
Tabarz is a traditional place at the foot of the Inselsberg (916,5 ms). This mountain is not the highest in Thuringian Forest but the most impressive one. The today's town has arisen from four independent villages. Their union occurred in 1946 to the today's municipality Tabarz. The local names of Cabarz and Tabarz also both unique in Germany because these are artificially local names. Their historical background is based on the mining pursued.
There is tourism since the second half of the 19th century. Since 1869 Berlin industrial family Spindler had a villa in the wooden Lauchagrund as constant summer residence. One can say that Spindler founded the tourism in Tabarz.
However, gladly other famous and known personalities came to Tabarz, as for example Wagner's singer Max Alvary who let himself establish in 1892/1893 a villa on Datenberg. The Frankfurt neurologist Dr. Heinrich Hoffmann, the author of the child book " Struwelpeter " spent his summer holidays from 1884 to 1894 in Tabarz. Also the royal Prussian family had a property in the Lauchagrund. Already about 1900 there were three bath institutions. Thus many nice villas and pensions are even today in the Lauchagrund, in the Zimmerberg and Datenberg. Some of this houses you can see in Travellogue.
This is the official webaddress: Tabarz
And there are another good website: Tabarz II
More pictures you find in Travelogue and, also panoramic ones, in my Tabarz picture album
- Pros:beautiful region, nice houses, good restaurants and hotels
- Cons:partially no good streets
- In a nutshell:One of the best regions in Thuringia
It's another special food of our region. To "create" them needs knowledge. Made out of potatoes. Grated poor potatoes... more travel advice
The Thüringer Bratwurst (Thuringian Sausage) is roasted on the grill. There are many recipes, but everyone is held... more travel advice
- If you come with car
- See All The "Mountaintop Way" - Rennsteig
- See All On the mountain, Tanzbuche
- See All Special hotel and restaurant, Tabarz
elgin99's Related Pages
Tabarz Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Tabarz
- Hotels in Tabarz
- Transportation in Tabarz
- Restaurants in Tabarz
- Warnings and Dangers in Tabarz
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tabarz
- 24 Reviews
- 115 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Tabarz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tabarz
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Thüringen Intro, 72 reviews, 186 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rügen Intro, 30 reviews, 143 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tabarz Intro, 24 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 42 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 37 reviews, 77 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Hessen Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bretagne Intro, 19 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination FYR of Macedonia Intro, 20 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos