"Macedonia - Country of Charming Extremes" Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Macedonia by elgin99
Republic of Macedonia Travel Guide: 3,288 reviews and 12,056 photos
Read and enjoy that pages with listening to Jonche Hristovski (mp3) or Zdravo Zivo Domajkini (mp3).
Short, but not too short was my journey to discover how gorgeous is that little country in the neighborhood of Bulgaria, Greece and Albania, Serbia and partially Kosovo.
Macedonia was the southernmost autonomous republic of former Yugoslavia and exclaimed its independence a little later than Croatia and Slovenia. It is, the only former autonomous republic this one its independence gained without bloodsheds. It is a mountains country with several dozens of two thousands, under this Vardar arises from some peaks of 2700 to 2,800 m. The river in the western high mountains near the limit to Albania or to Kosovo and flows through the entire country in the direction of the Southeast. Its climate is relatively rough in the mountainous inland region. It lies in the transition between the Mediterranean and the continental climate generally.
I could go to the capital Skopje and the city of Ohrid with its marvellous lake. Two journeys by the country along the river Vardar, past at the border of Albania, have filled me with enthusiasm through the the fascinating mountainous region, so that I have decided to create this general country page. How and where could I report about it otherwise? Ohrid and Skopje I dedicated extra pages.
I would like to come back there soon. So much I didn't seen or too quick over.
Here is a map of Macedonia.
Macedonia is medieval monasteries, vineyards, orchards, timeworn Turkish bazaars, Orthodox churches and space-age shopping centres. It is also the drone of the local bagpipes, Turkish-style grilled mincemeat and some of the cheapest wine on the planet. The country is unbelievably green; its people are hospitable and welcoming.
July and August are Macedonia's busiest months, but also the best months to catch festivals: the Balkan Festival of Folk Dances and Songs is held in Ohrid in early July, while the Ohrid Summer Festival takes place later that same month. Unless you're planning on heading to the mountains where temperatures can reach as low as -30°C (-22°F), the weather will be bearable year-round. In the higher mountains the snow can stay until the end of May, which makes it great for skiing.
Macedonia's summers are hot and dry though cool nights take the edge off. Warm Aegean winds blowing up the Vardar Valley moderate the continental conditions prevailing farther north. The temperatures can vary widely: summer temperatures can reach 40°C (104°F), while in winter it can drop as low as -30°C (-22°F). Snow falls on all the mountainous areas from November to April.
The ethnic tensions that once plagued Macedonia have greatly decreased. However travellers should continue to exercise caution in the regions along the frontiers with Kosovo and Albania.
Slavonic Macedonians 64,18 %
Albanian 25,17 %
Turks 3,85 %
Romanies (Gypsies) 2,66 %
Serbians 1,78 %
Bosnians 0,84 %
About 45% of the population have not made any statements on their denomination or are not religious. Orthodox Christians are the second largest group with about 32.4% of the population, 16.9% are Muslims and approximately 5% belong to other religious communities, among other things for the Roman Catholic church.
Debar is found in the mountainous border country with Albania. Around 70km north-west of Ohrid, it lies at an altitude... more travel advice
I love dogs. Therefore the sight of the many stray dogs made me so sad again and again. They are everywhere, sreets,... more travel advice
elgin99's Related Pages
Republic of Macedonia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Te Sakam Macedonia!"
- "FYR OF MACEDONIA"
- "Macedonia - Country of Charming Extremes"
- "Smiles sent from Sunny MACIE"
- "Mnogu ja sakam Makedonjia!"
- "Macedonia the land of the sun"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Republic of Macedonia
- Hotels in Republic of Macedonia
- Transportation in Republic of Macedonia
- Nightlife in Republic of Macedonia
- Restaurants in Republic of Macedonia
- Shopping in Republic of Macedonia
- Warnings and Dangers in Republic of Macedonia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Republic of Macedonia
- 45 Reviews
- 151 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Republic of Macedonia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Republic of Macedonia
- updated a Republic of Macedonia Travel Page "Macedonia - Country of Charming Extremes"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Macedonia - Country of Charming Extremes"
- Wrote a Review Debar - Town And Lake in Republic of Macedonia Things to Do
- Commented on one of shrimp56's Republic of Macedonia travel pages
- Posted in Travel Bretagne Forum "RE: Lorient based week advise..."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Thüringen Intro, 72 reviews, 186 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rügen Intro, 30 reviews, 143 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tabarz Intro, 24 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 42 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 37 reviews, 77 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Hessen Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bretagne Intro, 19 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Macedonia Intro, 20 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos