"Bulgaria - The land of sunflowers and wine" Bulgaria by elgin99
Bulgaria Travel Guide: 5,866 reviews and 16,829 photos
Some years ago, but it is as if just it was yesterday. A travel together with my son to the region of Targovishte. We stayed 3 weeks.
Here is a map of Northeast of Bulgaria, with that region we visited.
It´s no region by tourism. We visited German and Bulgarian friends there.
So we took part at the "normal" and everyday life. This provided an insight and we got the chance to know country and people.
It´s a poor country with very high unemployment. Many gypsies living there today.
Esp. the agriculture collapsed after socialism broken down.
Wide sunflower fields, wine, paprika and sweet corn are cultivated.
My memories include very impressive sunsets, with a dark red never I have seen.
We got a heartful welcome everywhere. People had really few money, but we got so many invitations, nevertheless. And when we arrived or met someone, every time we had a nice talk. Mostly with the help "of hands and feets", of course. :))
I like to remember for the warm nights on the terrace of small house in Momino. High above the town whose lights glittered in the ascending hot air. Listened for the voices of the cicadas or the howl of jackals. We visited Bulgaria during a long-durable dryness. The grass was brown and totally dry. Summer always are hot there, winter are very cold with much snow.
All together it was a wonderful time, with much fun, due to people and the special romantic charm of landscape.
Another memories? Good food (late because of the heat), poorness, mass of savaged dogs everywhere, tourism regions at Black Sea (not my thing), very bad streets, many burning fields and nice orthodox churches. Different....
Nearby Targovishte there is also a famous region of hunting because of it´s strong stags there (Veliki Presslav).
Orthodox churches in Bulgaria are very impressive. We visited some of them along the whole East.
Once we attended an othodox divine service in this church. because of rare strangers there people asked for our participation. We have done, and it was a heartful rite, indeed surprisingly. People told us what we have to do, and at last they gave us all flowers of the church as present and for memory. In which country would this likable moment happen, too? Not in Germany, I´m sure.
I´m sorry, my pictures are not the best, shot with analog camera.
- Pros:All above
- Cons:bad streets, uncleanliness towns
A famous town with an own charm. In the near and along the road there was a fantastic church, do not know the name,... more travel advice
The deciduous forest in this region is unique. Far away a thick green roof, under it a fascinating community of trees... more travel advice
elgin99's Related Pages
Bulgaria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bulgaria: Europe's best kept secret"
- "WE DID IT !!!!"
- "BULGARIA - THE LAND OF ROSES"
- "Bulgaria-little bit of this, little bit of that"
- "Welcome to beautiful Bulgaria!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bulgaria
- Hotels in Bulgaria
- Transportation in Bulgaria
- Nightlife in Bulgaria
- Restaurants in Bulgaria
- Shopping in Bulgaria
- Warnings and Dangers in Bulgaria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bulgaria
- 9 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Bulgaria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bulgaria
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Thüringen Intro, 72 reviews, 186 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rügen Intro, 30 reviews, 143 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tabarz Intro, 24 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 42 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 37 reviews, 77 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Hessen Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bretagne Intro, 19 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination FYR of Macedonia Intro, 20 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (15)
Top Bulgaria hotels
- Sunny Beach Hotels
- 154 Reviews - 274 Photos
- Sofia Hotels
- 1432 Reviews - 3515 Photos
- Varna Hotels
- 412 Reviews - 1096 Photos
- Plovdiv Hotels
- 441 Reviews - 1259 Photos
- Bansko Hotels
- 132 Reviews - 378 Photos
- Burgas Hotels
- 104 Reviews - 346 Photos
- Nesebar Hotels
- 222 Reviews - 629 Photos
- Obzor Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 57 Photos
- Sozopol Hotels
- 101 Reviews - 236 Photos
- Borovec Hotels
- 80 Reviews - 163 Photos
- Veliko Turnovo Hotels
- 266 Reviews - 681 Photos
- Balchik Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 201 Photos
- Svoge Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Ruse Hotels
- 58 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Vidin Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 125 Photos