"Green Heart of Germany - Thuringia" Top 5 Page for this destination Land Thüringen by elgin99
Land Thüringen Travel Guide: 1,111 reviews and 3,559 photos
The Free State of Thuringia is located in the middle of Germany, which is borderd from Saxony and Saxony-Anhalt in the East and Northeast, Bavaria in the South, Hesse in West, Lower Saxony in Northwest. The state is also very close to Czechia in East.
The capital is Erfurt. Thuringia has last 2,54 Mio habitants and the extent is similar to Schleswig-Holstein. Thuringian mountains (Forest) is up to nearly 1000 ms. The famous mountain way named Rennsteig is 168 kms long and leads always along the height of mountains. Another famous way for walkers and pilgrims is the "Luther way".
Thuringia is called "The Green Heart of Germany" because of its a well wooded region. Wide forests, lakes, lot of wild animals, World heritage national park Hainich, wonderful historical places, castles and palaces or modern buildings and world famous industrie. Thuringia means a lot.
Bigger towns are Eisenach, Erfurt, Weimar, Jena and Gera.
First people were the Celts. It was a wide Kingdom, from Elbe to Danube. So Thuringia has a fascinating history, and an interesting future, too.
Thuringia is worth to spend a vacation there. If you want see how "rich" that small country is with sightseeing, let me introduce to you and give some facts about with a warm WELCOME.
Some More Albums of Thuringia:
Schmalkalden and Palace
There are some regions. The most important are Thüringer Becken (Lower Thuringia), Thüringer Wald (Thuringian Forest), Thüringer Schiefergebirge (Thuringian Slate Mountains), partially the Harz Mountains, Rhön.
Gefell lies in Thuringian Slate Mountains, and Tabarz is located in Thuringian Forest. The capital Erfurt of course is in Lowlands, Thuringer Becken.
The accents are different. There is no clear Thuringian one. The Rennsteig divides all. North of that line is Thuringian with partially Saxon accent. In the South people speaking Frankish (northern Bavaria accent), and some (around Eisenach) speaking with little accent of Hesse.
Most people are Evangelian, but there are also Catholic regions.
Wartburg is probably the most significant castle in the German history. The later canonised Elisabeth von Thüringen lived in the castle from 1221 to 1227. 1521/22 the reformer Martin Luther hidden as a " Junker Jörg " and translated during this time the new testament of the Bible into German language. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe stayed several times here, for the first time in 1777. On the 18th October, 1817 German students took place in the castle with the first Wartburg celebration. The second Wartburg celebration was organised in the revolutionary year 1848. Our German flag based on that event. Thus it is not surprising that the castle counted already in the 19-th century as a national monument.
Castle was founded around 1067 by Ludwig der Springer (Ludwig the Jumper) and belongs since 1999 to the world cultural heritage.
The legendary Minnesingers' Contest or "Singers' War" dates back to 1206. Ludwig the II. of Bavaria took Wartburg as a model for his castle situated in the Allgäu, Neuschwanstein. The castle are similar not only from some points of view in the silhouette, also the singer's hall was copied for the castle of the Bavarian king. Wartburg has become an often literary scene, best known by Richard Wagner "Tannhäuser".
High recommendable also the museum with its treasures of art from eight centuries.
You can refer some details about that famous persons and history events of the Wartburg in my General Tips.
- Pros:wonderful nature, beautiful towns and lot of historical places
- In a nutshell:You find all what you need.
It's another special food of our region. To "create" them needs knowledge. Made out of potatoes. Grated poor potatoes... more travel advice
Dinners inside mean true creations of meals. Very tasteful! Ambiente of house is romantic, lies above town Waltershausen... more travel advice
- See All Lovely Romantic Walk
- See All Racing track - Horse riding, Boxberg
- See All Inmidst the Thuringian Forest, Ruhla
- Changing weather
elgin99's Related Pages
Land Thüringen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Green Heart of Germany - Thuringia"
- "Nature, history and modernity - Under construction"
- "Rolling green landscapes brimming with culture"
- "My Quiet Corner of Thüringen"
- "Thuringia - Holidays in the very center of Germany"
- "Historic pictures of Salzmannschule"
- "Welcome to THURINGIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Land Thüringen
- Hotels in Land Thüringen
- Transportation in Land Thüringen
- Nightlife in Land Thüringen
- Restaurants in Land Thüringen
- Shopping in Land Thüringen
- Warnings and Dangers in Land Thüringen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Land Thüringen
- 139 Reviews
- 422 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Land Thüringen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Land Thüringen
- Wrote a Review Thuringian dumplings in Land Thüringen Local Customs
- updated a Land Thüringen Travel Page "Green Heart of Germany - Thuringia"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Green Heart of Germany - Thuringia"
- Commented on one of weed6886's Land Thüringen travel pages
- Posted in Travel Bretagne Forum "RE: Lorient based week advise..."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Thüringen Intro, 72 reviews, 186 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rügen Intro, 30 reviews, 143 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tabarz Intro, 24 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 42 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 37 reviews, 77 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Hessen Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bretagne Intro, 19 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination FYR of Macedonia Intro, 20 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos