"Romantic Hesse - towns and Rhine" Top 5 Page for this destination Land Hessen by elgin99
Land Hessen Travel Guide: 4,008 reviews and 10,534 photos
Hesse, this is the Rheingau, the Lahntal, Taunus, Odenwald, Spessart, Westerwald and Vogelsberg. Rivers like the Rhine, Lahn and the Main. Towns like Frankfurt, Kassel, Wetzlar, Wiesbaden, Limburg and more.
Wiesbaden is the country capital. Lying in the middle of Germany the German national member state Hesse borders to the states Northrhine-Westphalia, lower Saxony, Thuringia, Bavaria, Baden-Württemberg and Rhineland-Palatinate. While the current Rhine in the south west of the country forms the boundary to Rhineland-Palatinate, the Neckar is form southern boundary river to Baden-Württemberg and the Werra and/or the Weser in the East and/or in north Hesse partially the boundary to Thuringia and lower Saxony.
With Frankfurt/main lies one of the most important German cities in Hesse. The actual city has are 655,000 inhabitants, with the narrower surrounding countryside are 2 millions. In the entire population center Rhine-Main lives over the half of the Hessian population. The largest city of the remaining province is Kassel, the historic capital of north Hesse, with ca. 200,000 inhabitants today the third largest city of the country. The Rhine-Main-zone in south Hesse possesses the largest industry density in Germany to the Ruhr Valley.
Hesse - this is romanticism, wine, more than 100 castles and palaces, monasteries, half-timbered houses, nature. These are names like Eltville, Ruedesheim, Eberbach or Limburg...
With more than 300 museums Hesse is very attractive. UNESCO World Heritage are the Roman Limes, the Königshalle (king hall) in Lorsch, the mine Messel and the Middle Rhine Valley. Another secret tip are the numerous caves and mine museums and visitor mines in Hesse. Over 100 communes of Hesse are member of the German half-timbering street throughout Germany.
On this picture the entrance to castle Braunfels in romantic town Braunfels.
On that picture you see Limburg at Lahn river and the romanic St.-Georg-Cathedral. There the view from the old Lahn bridge.
Limburg is now 1000 years old. To visit that town means to get a deep inside in the Middle Age.
- Pros:romance, wonderful lifestyle, vineyards, Rhine river and more
- Cons:during summer less accomodations at Rhine
- In a nutshell:Pure romance
In nice position, at the foot of the Hoher Meißners (750 m), 13 kms away from Eschwege, Count Rugger III von Bilstein... more travel advice
A good tip to the centuries of mining in the Meißner area is the so-called Stinksteinwand which is above the mining... more travel advice
elgin99's Related Pages
Land Hessen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land Hessen: Frankfurt Skyline Countdown"
- "Romantic Hesse - towns and Rhine"
- "State of Hessen, more than only Frankfurt"
- "Germany's State Hessen"
- "Welcome to the German State of Hesse"
- "Offenbach Wald Zoo Animals"
- "weekends in Hessen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Land Hessen
- Hotels in Land Hessen
- Transportation in Land Hessen
- Nightlife in Land Hessen
- Restaurants in Land Hessen
- Shopping in Land Hessen
- Warnings and Dangers in Land Hessen
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Land Hessen
- 31 Reviews
- 118 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Land Hessen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Land Hessen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Thüringen Intro, 72 reviews, 186 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rügen Intro, 30 reviews, 143 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tabarz Intro, 24 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 42 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 37 reviews, 77 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 31 reviews, 73 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Hessen Intro, 24 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bretagne Intro, 19 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination FYR of Macedonia Intro, 20 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (15)
Top Land Hessen hotels
- Frankfurt am Main Hotels
- 1667 Reviews - 3684 Photos
- Darmstadt Hotels
- 205 Reviews - 669 Photos
- Wiesbaden Hotels
- 238 Reviews - 443 Photos
- Rüdesheim am Rhein Hotels
- 180 Reviews - 325 Photos
- Kassel Hotels
- 95 Reviews - 234 Photos
- Marburg an der Lahn Hotels
- 210 Reviews - 853 Photos
- Offenbach Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 17 Photos
- Wetzlar Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 23 Photos
- Hanau am Main Hotels
- 26 Reviews - 153 Photos
- Raunheim Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 9 Photos
- Kelsterbach Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 37 Photos
- Gießen Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 68 Photos
- Fulda Hotels
- 72 Reviews - 167 Photos
- Limburg an der Lahn Hotels
- 46 Reviews - 114 Photos
- Langen Hotels
- 14 Reviews - 37 Photos