"Carrollton, Virginia" Carrollton by Paul_the_Seeker

Carrollton Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 19 photos

My (Former) Home*

Carrollton is not really a city or town, but an area in the county of Isle of Wight in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia (the southeast corner of the state). Nearby is the city of Smithfield, where the world-famous country hams come from. Otherwise, the county is known for agriculture (peanuts, soybeans, corn, and cotton). Being just across the James River from Newport News, it is currently undergoing rapid development. Too rapid for me, being as I enjoy my elbowroom.

The Hampton Roads area is full of military installations. The largest navy base in the country is a few miles away in Norfolk. It seems most people here are from elsewhere, including ourselves.

For recreation, we enjoy sailing, fishing, windsurfing, mountain biking (there are no mountains here, but there are several decent trails), or just working on projects around the house.

We've been living in this area for about 17 years now, and though far from utopia, it is home.

The photo shows our little house. My wife and I built it almost completely by ourselves (that's why it's so small). We were supposed to add on to it by now, but things change. There's less to maintain anyway. I would like to build the ideal workshop eventually.

*We have since moved to Bangkok, Thailand (2007).

Carrollton Creek

I enjoy the peace and privacy on our wooded lot which is bounded by a small, tidal creek. We can take a boat out a quarter-mile and fish or crab. The James River is four nautical miles downstream, and the Chesapeake Bay is around ten nautical miles farther.

Hurricane Isabel - September 2003

We got a licking from Isabel, but fortunately, most of the damage was uprooted trees. We lost power for ten days, but it was fun to "camp-out" at our house. It made us realize how we are so spoiled by certain conveniences, like running hot water and refrigeration.

Isabel was not a strong storm, but its path caused the strongest winds (northeast of the eye) to hit us. The path also forced a lot more water up the rivers, causing lots of flooding. Our house is 15 feet above the high-tide line, so we had no problem. The ground was already saturated from previous rain, so most trees that came down simply uprooted. This was a good thing because the root mass counterbalanced the fall of the tree. In some cases they gently leaned on the roofs of houses causing little damage.

Thousands of trees went down in the area taking down power lines (you can see the top of my power pole in the photo). I have a side-specialty of climbing and lowering problem trees, so I was able to help friends and others by dismantling leaning trees.

One of the nicest things after the hurricane was how people came together to help each other. It was a big mess, but it brought people together, revealing their good natures.

• Pros:It is convenient to neighboring cities, but feels rural.
  • Cons:Besides the elbowroom and water, there is not that much that interests me here.
  • In a nutshell:Not a bad place to live, but take me to Thailand...
  • Intro Updated Sep 24, 2011

• roongrot99's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2006 at 7:18 AM

Nice to see that there's a Thai temple there also.

• TimDaoust's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2005 at 9:43 AM

Excellent that you have something like this so close to your home. You might find my Grafton, NY page interesting. There is a Buddhist Peace Pagoda a few miles from where my Aunt and Uncle live. Great pictures.

• Pichayada's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2004 at 6:30 AM

Nice pic of river sunrise. Tree guest house looks good.

Paul_the_Seeker Used To Live Here!

Paul_the_Seeker

“Place me in the company of those who seek the truth, but deliver me from those who believe to have found it.”

Badges & Stats in Carrollton

Have you been to Carrollton?

Latest Activity in Carrollton