"Quiet on the Sound" Fiordland National Park by batgirl1001
Fiordland National Park Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 109 photos
Fiordland is a spectacularly gorgeous place which is hard to describe into words without being too effusive or exaggerating.It's a- You have to see it for yourself kind of feeling.
Fiordland was declared a World Heritage Site in 1986, the second park in the world to do so after Yellowstone Park, USA.However the land mass 4,600 square miles is the size of Yellowstone and Yosemite combined. Hence, its HUGE!
In Fiordland, you can find many species of birds, even the protected wild kiwis (rare), more common keas and the even more common possums (pests to NZ).
The park is only accessible from Te Anau by road and on some days in winter, it is unaccessible at all.
There are 14 sounds in the park but only 2 are within reach- Milford (which has a more spectacular road journey) and Doubtful with consist of over 300 islands and is 3 times larger than the Milford.
You can take a day tour or overnight tour to see these 2 sounds and it is really worth the trip.
- Pros:Beautiful Beyond Words
- Cons:A Long, long Journey from Queenstown (6-7 hours one way)
- In a nutshell:Don't Ever Miss It
This is Cleddau River inside Fiordland. The river is one of the most massive rivers that feed the waters of Milford... more travel advice
This is one place to stop on your way towards Milford Sound in Fiordland. The place is called Mirror Lake and you can... more travel advice
batgirl1001's Related Pages
Fiordland National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quiet on the Sound"
- "New Zealand Trip 1999 - Fiordland"
- "FAQ - Under Construction"
- "The Deep South"
- "FIORDLAND NTL PARK"
- "Cruising Fiords and Lakes - Hiking - Meeting Birds"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fiordland National Park
- Hotels in Fiordland National Park
- Transportation in Fiordland National Park
- Restaurants in Fiordland National Park
- Shopping in Fiordland National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Fiordland National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Fiordland National Park
- 14 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Fiordland National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fiordland National Park
Photos in Fiordland National ParkSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 17 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cambodia Intro, 23 reviews, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lombok Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Maldives Intro, 26 reviews, 22 photos
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 12 reviews, 26 photos, 4 travelogues
- Fiordland National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 9 photos
- Queenstown Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Rotorua Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fox Glacier Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos
- Greater London Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue