"Wonderful French Village" Crépon by OiKnow

Crépon Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 8 photos

How French!

Crepon is located to the east of Bayeux about half way between the town of Creully and Arromanches on the coast. Arromanches was the site of one of the artificial harbors that was constructed in June of 1944 for the Allied invasion of Normandy. Parts of Crepon date back to the 1300’s including parts of the hotel that I stayed in (see the tips below.) The church tower in Crepon was a combination bell tower and defensive tower. The rounded area contained a spiral staircase and look-outs for invaders.

The village has a tiny Tabbac and bar. I went in to buy my morning diet coke (Coke-light and now Coke Zero.) I asked the barman in French if he spoke English, and he answered in English that alas he did not (how French!) I ventured forth in my limited French, “je voudre en coca light por le empartor” I am sure that my pronunciation was as poor as my French spelling. But the effort was well worth it, he produced a 1.5 liter bottle, they only size he had for take away sales. Perfect, and a bargain at 1.50 Euro.

There was a wonderful looking butcher shop in the village, oh how I wished I had access to a kitchen.

Haunting past

The first evening I had a couple of hours to explore before dinner and I asked at the hotel what was close by to go see. Madam recommended that I drive down to the beach and drive along the shore. This is less then 10 miles away, over quiet back country roads. Now I knew I was in the middle of the D-Day beaches, but I was surprised to find the shell of a German gun emplacement; still standing after over 60 years.

Farming the Sea

100 yards from the gun emplacement was this delightful little seafood shop. Shell fish is the local specialty, farming the sea has been a way of life for centuries.

• Pros:Genuine French Village
  • Cons:You have to drive and speak a little French
  • Last visit to Crépon: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 18, 2007

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2009 at 12:33 PM

never heard of Crepon but i liked what I saw on your page. thx for sharing. Bora

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2008 at 4:57 AM

Can't believe this - we drove past La Ranconniere on our Normandy Landings and battlefields tour in Sept/Oct 2007! It's an area we go on returning to....

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2007 at 4:35 PM

HI Dave, I see you stayed at the Farm. Great place. I would love to go back, Karl

OiKnow

“We regret most, what we did not do”

Badges & Stats in Crépon