"Zamboanga Hermosa - City of Flowers" Top 5 Page for this destination Zamboanga City by Ric
Zamboanga City Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 168 photos
Contrary to international and national press reports, Zamboanga is not a dangerous area. Muslim and Christian Filipinos here have a working multi-cultural relationship, with a notable amount of intermarriage. Undeniably there are altercations between Muslim separatists and the national government. There are certain areas where as a foreigner it is not wise to go alone, which can also be said for Los Angeles or for Berlin. In the downtown and scenic points the juxtaposition of Muslim Filipino culture and Christian Filipino culture abounds. The different ethnic settlements are interesting and accessible, from the Spanish architecture of old-time Zamboangeno families (see picture) to the Badjao sea gypsy village out over the water.
Zamboanga lies outside the typhoon belt, so that other than the rainy season it is not subjected to nature's wrath that visits the northern Philippines (including Manila).
Beyond the urban city proper there are great seascapes and rural landscapes, including rice fields, corn fields, fish ponds, extensive stands of coconut palms, tucked-away rural chapels and mosques, and roadside markets. The Tausug who once controlled the entire Sultanate of Sulu occupy districts such as Campo Islam and Rio Hondo while the Samal, called the peaceable people of Sulu, can be found in villages like Taluksangay. This is a fishing community and site of the oldest mosque in Western Mindanao (see picture). Residents don't mind photos or visitors.
Zamboanga is a bouquet of languages. One hears the fascinating Chavacano, a Spanish Creole spoken by Zamboanga natives. The Chavacano greeting is "Buenas Dias" and the phrase for "women" is "el maga mujer." The Tausug language is reminiscent of market Malay. Cebuano speakers from the Visayas have settled here--Cebuano is the de facto lengua franca for the Central and Southern Philippines. In addition one hears Filipino/Tagalog, the national language. In the towns almost everyone speaks some English. Peninsular Spanish is rarely spoken today.
Zamboanga is a transit point for high speed passenger ships to Jolo and other points in the Sulu Archipelago as well as to Cebu and Iloilo in the Visayas. There is an overnight ship to Sandakan, Sabah in Malaysia (it's cheaper than flying). "Zambo" is serviced by two different domestic airlines, including Philippine Airlines' twice daily Manila flights.
One can "do" Zamboanga in two days of feverish sightseeing. With four or five days, you would get more of the personality of the region and its people. Take the time to discover the quiet and the unexpected (see picture).
And yes, there are internet cafes...
- Pros:a hospitable people; not spoiled by mass tourism, great fresh fish
- Cons:few beaches for swimming, presence of the Philippine military, tourism infrastructure not yet developed
- In a nutshell:A city that combines Spanish elegance with unvarnished Malay Filipino culture
The food is served family style on woven bamboo trays covered with banana leaf. People usually eat with their hands... more travel advice
Fort del Pilar was the Spanish attempt to conquer and control the Muslim South of the Philippines. This historic fort is... more travel advice
Ric's Related Pages
Zamboanga City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Zamboanga Hermosa - Flower City of the South"
- "Bienvenidos a Zamboanga"
- "Beautiful Zamboanga City a undiscovered Paradise"
- "Zamboanga Hermosa - City of Flowers"
- "HERE I COME DIPOLOG CITY.........................."
- "Zamboanga City: Asia's Latin City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zamboanga City
- Hotels in Zamboanga City
- Transportation in Zamboanga City
- Nightlife in Zamboanga City
- Restaurants in Zamboanga City
- Shopping in Zamboanga City
- Warnings and Dangers in Zamboanga City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zamboanga City
- 7 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Zamboanga City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zamboanga City
- updated a Zamboanga City Travel Page "Zamboanga Hermosa - City of Flowers"
- Posted in Travel Mexico City Forum "Reliable taxis from airport"
- Commented on one of bike_packer's Zamboanga City travel pages
- Wrote a Review Family-style with local food in Zamboanga City Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Zamboanga Hermosa - City of Flowers"
Photos in Zamboanga CitySee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Manila Intro, 22 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zamboanga City Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 14 reviews
- Honolulu Intro, 13 reviews, 1 travelogue
- Burma Intro, 9 reviews
- Dublin Intro, 9 reviews
- Limerick Intro, 9 reviews
- Vienna Intro, 6 reviews
- Cork Intro, 6 reviews
- Malaysia Intro, 4 reviews