"Borobudur" Top 5 Page for this destination Borobudur by hez28

Borobudur Travel Guide: 190 reviews and 651 photos

My visit to Yogyakarta was mainly because of Borobudur. I wanted to come HERE. After visiting the Pyramids of Giza in Cairo and various other temples in Egypt, I thought hey why not visit one that is close to home, in South East Asia. Borobudur got me interested in archeology even more. Its captivating history about Buddhism, which I’d learned only a little bit during my school years enlightened me..

I think to get you interested in religion studies, you’d actually have to experience it first hand. Not to the extent of converting to the religion itself, but by visiting its history and learning how it came about. In this case, visiting the temple of Borobudur to get some insights into Buddhism and its philosophy.

After this visit, I became even more inspired to visit other archeological sites around the world; Machu Picchu in Cuzco, the Acropolis in Athens, Petra in Jordan, the Bagan in Myanmar, the Chichen Itza and Palenque in the Yucatan Peninsula, and the ever-popular Angkor Wat in Siem Reap which I’m about to do next month! :-)

• Pros:A place for serenity, reflection.
  • Last visit to Borobudur: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 24, 2006

• ecuriocity's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2007 at 9:49 AM

On my limited budget, I shall then make this my next historical destination. lol. I found Buddhism very confusing though, I suppose there r diff schools of thought plus when infused with local customs and traditional believes, it gets even worse! lol. T

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2006 at 7:09 AM

NICE !!! pages are forming :-)))

• WStat's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2006 at 11:28 PM

Hi Hezzy ! I`ve read a lot about Borobudur (been there twice), but never such good and short explanations like yours! Congratulations! Looking forward to reading more of your travel-reports ! Greetings from Vienna

• Pieter11's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2006 at 1:51 AM

Heheh, cool schoolkids :)

hez28

“Wealth is of the heart and mind, not the pocket”

Badges & Stats in Borobudur

Have you been to Borobudur?

Latest Activity in Borobudur