"Charlotte Amalie" Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Amalie by eight_08
Charlotte Amalie Travel Guide: 98 reviews and 192 photos
Charlotte Amalie (pronounce Ah-MAHL-yuh) is the main port town on St. Thomas. It is a bustling, busy little town with a lot of traffic and lots of people when the cruise ships dock. During peak season (over the winter) there can be as many as 9 ships docking at the same time. Personally, I wouldn't want to be there at that time because it would be too packed. The shopping districts cater to cruise passengers and the merchants will hawk their wares from the shop doors so be ready to be accosted. The prices on jewelry, liquor and tobacco are very reasonable, though. We traveled during the off season in the summer and were pleased, though some places only open when the cruise ships are in town, like the Havensight Mall and the Adventure Submarine ride (which I REALLY wanted to go on!) but that's a fact of life when you visit a place off-season. Plus, when you go in the summer prices are about 1/3 less than in peak season so you can save quite a bit of money. Charlotte Amalie is home to the USVI historical museum (housed in the Fort Christian building), the famous 99 Steps, and an old market square where slaves were sold. It is currently used as a market place and the old slave block is still there but hidden under a lot of stuff--you have to really look for it. In other words, there are lots of things to see and do in Charlotte Amalie so check it out!
- Pros:Lots of sightseeing and shopping to be done.
- Cons:Busy busy busy when the cruise ships are in town.
I would advise not driving on St. Thomas. Traffic is heavy, the roads are narrow and winding and they drive on the... more travel advice
Magens Bay is a lovely beach not too far from Charlotte Amalie. It's the only other beach besides our resort's beach... more travel advice
eight_08's Related Pages
Charlotte Amalie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "US Virgin Islands"
- "St Thomas"
- "Charming Charlotte Amelie!"
- "St Thomas"
- "Charlotte Amalie"
- "magnbay's new Charlotte Amalie Page"
- "Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Charlotte Amalie
- Hotels in Charlotte Amalie
- Transportation in Charlotte Amalie
- Nightlife in Charlotte Amalie
- Restaurants in Charlotte Amalie
- Shopping in Charlotte Amalie
- Warnings and Dangers in Charlotte Amalie
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Charlotte Amalie
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Charlotte Amalie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Charlotte Amalie
Top 5 Pages
- St. Thomas Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Philadelphia Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Amalie Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint John Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Cruz Bay Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Charlotte Amalie hotel reviews