"Northampton" Northampton by peterdhduncan
Northampton Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 196 photos
Northampton is our home town, and, in my opinion, its greatest assets are its very popular and attractive parks, including Abington Park, where part of the Northampton Museum is housed in a former manor house, Delapre Park in which Delapre Abbey is situated, and Becket's Park immediately to the south of the town, which is situated alongside the river Nene, and which now has a new Marina adjacent to it. The Racecourse, a large open space to the north of the town, has not been used for horse-racing since the beginning of the twentieth century, but is a venue for many other sports, whilst Hunsbury Hill Park is a large area of country park to the south of the town, which includes a restored ironstone railway..
There are several historic buildings in the central area of Northampton, including four churches, St Giles, St Peters, All Saints and Holy Sepulchre and the town's guildhall.. The churches all date back to Norman times, although All Saints was built in the seventeenth century to replace a church on the same site, which was destroyed along with numerous other buildings by a vast fire. The guildhall, which is in neo-gothic style, was built in the 1860s, and extended in 1889-92 and 1992. To see a picture of it, click here.
Northampton's museum is in two parts: one in the centre of the town and the other in Abington Park. The traditional industry of Northampton was shoe making, and there is a huge and fascinating collection of shoes to be seen in the part of it in the centre of the town.
The town has two theatres under one roof, the Royal & Derngate Theatres. The Royal is a traditional repertory theatre opened in May 1884, whilst the Derngate is a modern multi-purpose theatre opened in April 1983.
peterdhduncan's Related Pages
Northampton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Two ancient churches and a bargain!"
- "Not Quite Krakow But Definitely Underated!"
- "Just a day visit."
- "2nd time around:=)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Northampton
- Hotels in Northampton
- Transportation in Northampton
- Restaurants in Northampton
- Shopping in Northampton
- Warnings and Dangers in Northampton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Northampton
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Northampton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Northampton
Photos in NorthamptonSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyrenia District Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Republic of Montenegro Intro, 3 reviews, 29 photos, 6 travelogues
- Haus Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Kas Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Perast Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos
- Ischgl Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Gocek Adasi Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Cavtat Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos
- Kusadasi Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos