Kyrenia District Off The Beaten Path Tips by peterdhduncan Top 5 Page for this destination
Kyrenia District Off The Beaten Path: 9 reviews and 11 photos
On the Road Southwards
We then turned southwards. The picture shows our hire car on a rather rough unmade-up road, which, fortunately, only lasted for a few miles. It was the only untarmaced road that we experienced in north Cyprus.
North Coast Road
When we left St Hilarion Castle, we returned to the north coast and followed the road eastwards to the Karpas Peninsula. The first few miles of the road were new and wide, but it then became narrow and quite bumpy (although tarmacked) and often hugging closely to the coast. There was very little other traffic, and sometimes we drove for several miles without seeing either another vehicle or other people.
Apostolos Andreas Monastery (Photo: Fevzi Uzmen)
The following morning we drove in a replacement hire car to the Apostolos Andreas Monastery, which is almost at the tip of the peninsula, and a long way from the nearest settlement.
Unfortunately, we were unable to go in to it, as it was in the process of being restored with a U.N./E.U. grant, although there didn't appear to be much activity. However, outside there was a large market selling a huge variety of items, with several stalls and stallholders, but no customers!
Donkey on the Karpas Peninsula
We saw several of the wild donkeys for which the Karpas Peninsula is famous whilst driving along it.
View from Theresa Hotel
From Bafra we headed north-east back to the north coast. We were considering whether to stay the night on the Karpas Peninsula when our car started overheating, which decided the matter for us. Fortunately, we were near to the Theresa Hotel, and were able to spend a night there.
Palloura Beach (Photo courtesy of Fevzi Uzmen)
We eventually arrived at Palloura Beach near Bafra. It turned out to consist of a cabin selling food, some tables and chairs under a makeshift cover, sunbeds and parasols, a handful of people and a glorious, long beach, mostly unoccupied. We swam in the warm, clear turquoise sea with the fish swimming round us.
On leaving the monastery, we visited the amazingly beautiful and empty Golden Beach.
More Reviews (10)
peterdhduncan's Related Pages
Kyrenia District Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Girne (Kyrenia)"
- "Christmas Break in Kyrenia"
- "Kyrenia - the city and beyond..."
- "IMAGE OVERDOSE"
- "North Cyprus in late October"
- "Wonderful Kyrenia"
- "Girne, North Cyprus"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kyrenia District
- Hotels in Kyrenia District
- Transportation in Kyrenia District
- Nightlife in Kyrenia District
- Restaurants in Kyrenia District
- Shopping in Kyrenia District
- Warnings and Dangers in Kyrenia District
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cool Casino Stuff
- Plovdiv Off The Beaten Path
- Catalunya Off The Beaten Path
- Wrightsville Beach Off The Beaten Path
- Nazaré Off The Beaten Path
- Pulau Langkawi Off The Beaten Path
- Veracruz Off The Beaten Path
- Xuzhou Off The Beaten Path
- Marmaris Off The Beaten Path
- Salt Lake City Off The Beaten Path
- Alanya Off The Beaten Path
- Lord Howe Island Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Kyrenia District
- 19 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Kyrenia District?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kyrenia District
Photos in Kyrenia DistrictSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyrenia District Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Republic of Montenegro Intro, 3 reviews, 29 photos, 6 travelogues
- Haus Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Kas Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Perast Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos
- Ischgl Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Gocek Adasi Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos
- Kusadasi Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos
- Dubrovnik Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos