"The Zulu Kingdom" Top 5 Page for this destination Durban by cokes

Durban Travel Guide: 424 reviews and 851 photos

Durban

Is a sophisticated cosmopolitan city of some three million people - a city where east meets west - a city beneath which beats the pulse of Africa. A city known as Africa's best managed busiest port.

The Honest Truth of Durban

Well Let me not lie and tell you Durban City is wonderful because for me personally the city is just like Johannesburg. When driving around the city or going to beach there , there is alot of police presence I guess to protect us from the criminals around there.

I would best advise to either go to the North Coast or the South Coast when visiting Durban. Its very nice , unless when you go to Ushaka in the city which I personally enjoyed. I think the upgrades with the waterfront and mall there was really great at Ushaka and my fondest memory there was having dinner at Ocean Basket overlooking the harbour.

South / North Coast

Well guys , remember when I said that the South & North Coast of Durban is quiet nice. Checkout a pic of the South Coast.

With my last visit to Durban I stayed in Balito in the North and I really loved it there. It`s very beautiful and peaceful and we just drove from 1 beach to the next from Balito to Umlanga and really had a great time.

• Pros:Durban has a tropical climate so you can visit there anytime of the year.
  • Cons:Nigerians in the city centre , do I have to say more.
  • In a nutshell:Go and check it out , its not that bad but move away from the city.
  • Last visit to Durban: Apr 2009
  • Intro Updated Mar 31, 2010

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2009 at 3:47 PM

useful stuff.thanks for some great tips here.

• May 14, 2008 at 10:48 PM

i have a few south african friends who are from durban. it seems to be quite a nice city. the shopping mall sounds like my type of place though haha! cheers on a nice page mate!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2007 at 11:35 AM

I had a flatmate from Durban when I was in London last year. Thanks for showing where she is from.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2006 at 9:38 AM

Very good tips and some good suggestions for me. Your Waning tip makes me smile, I am sure I'd feed the monkeys there, the nearest ones to my place live in Gibraltar - over 2,000 km away.

• high_d's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2006 at 8:27 PM

Yup, Hawaii is our 50th state...I saw a travel show on the island of Kauai, the Na Pali coast is a must see...too bad my relatives relocated to Virginia...wah:(

• cleocat's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2006 at 10:39 AM

Nice page. Great pic of Zimbali. I didn't like the Grand West casino in Durban. The one you show looks more interesting.

• Kristina1701's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2006 at 1:49 PM

ooohh why don't we have such shopping malls in germany?? :-( *lol* ;-)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2005 at 5:20 PM

great tips, I can wait to get back to your country and explore more!

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2005 at 6:57 PM

Hello Collin, very nice expose on Durban. The Richa boys sound like a rip off to me. Excellent photos including the one on your HP. Very nice work, Kat

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2005 at 8:21 AM

Collin, a really good page on Durban. I loved your tips and very nice photos too. Yes, Durban is nice to visit, but it is more relaxing on one of the beaches away from town. The Banana Express sounds like fun!

cokes

“Go out there without expectations , just go and see for yourself”

Badges & Stats in Durban