"The Fast Life , Johannesburg" Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg by cokes

Johannesburg Travel Guide: 1,097 reviews and 2,290 photos

Johannesburg

This is really the city of Gold and Diamonds.

Its a very small province of South Africa but the richest. When riding around the city all the mines is very visible.

In JNB you gotta drive from place to place because nothing is close by. Johannesburg is divided into North , South East and West.

The nice thing about being in JNB is that there is a network of highways which leads to any part of South Africa. I will post pics of some of the resorts and safari places I have visited close to JNB. Like I said I said you gotta drive from place to place.

By the way before I forget , I would strongly advise not to go near JNB city center. The crime rate is quiet high there and you get the feel of people watching you all the time ,ready to mug you. Besides that there is nothing to do in the city anyway because all the shopping malls got what ever you need and it is safe. Just my opinion , if you up to it , go and check it out for yourself and you`ll see what I`m talking about.

Well to be honest with you guys I always had the perception that there was not that much really to do in Johannesburg. I put myself to the task in trying to find nice places to go to and yep I succeeded. There is lots of nice Safari places which is very close to Johannesburg and trust me its not that expensive. There is still the driving factor but its not that far. So if you plan a short stay in Johannesburg be free to look at my Things To Do section and have a look at some of my travelogues to get a feel of how these places really look like.

There is one place that comes recommended by me when staying in Johannesburg especially if you a family and want to get away from the hussle and bussle and looking for a great bed and breakfast. Be sure to check out my tips of Starling Bed and Breakfast.

Still my favourite weekend destination which is a cool 1 hours drive outside Johannesburg is the Hartbeespoort Dam. I don`t think its a very popular tourist destination but its surely full up with people from Johannesburg on the weekends. If by any chance you making your way to Sun City from Johannesburg or coming from Sun City to Johannesburg I think passing by here will be a wonderful experience. It makes a great day outing and worth checking out.

• Pros:A good place to work in terms of money and career opportunities.
  • Cons:High Crime Rate
  • In a nutshell:Eat or Be Eaten
  • Intro Updated Nov 13, 2009

• Paris92's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2011 at 10:03 AM

These pages are so interesting--you really deserved your Barney nomination!

• fossettes's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Hi Collin - we're heading to South Africa next month and I was curious if Lesedi Village was worth the time - based on your review we're going to give it a try. Looks very interesting - and the dam too! Thanks!

• high_d's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2010 at 9:33 PM

hey hey...how are the games coming along? I've been watching them :) which games have u been able to go to? I just saw the Ivory Coast/Portugal game, no goals :(

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2010 at 4:52 AM

The ambience at Moyo is great, but I think that the food is overpriced for what it is. My recommendation is to go if someone else is paying!

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Lovely tips Colin, I love the directions, perfect, cant get lost!!

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2008 at 5:26 PM

Great pages! That's an incredible picture of the zebra drinking at the swimming pool!! We hope to visit and go on a safari in Sept next year!!

• monina_c's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2007 at 12:51 AM

I am glad Pam gave us a heads up about your pages Collin!

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2007 at 3:45 AM

You were Featured Member and it was nice to swing by your Jhb pages and reminisce about the years I spent living there! Gillybob greetings.

• Kid-A's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2007 at 5:13 AM

Great Johannesburg tips Collin! I'll be traveling around in South Africa in January -- that's summer, right? :) What's the average temperature there then? Thanks! Brian

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2007 at 10:16 PM

Thanks so much for the greetings, Collin :-)

cokes

“Go out there without expectations , just go and see for yourself”

Badges & Stats in Johannesburg

Have you been to Johannesburg?

Latest Activity in Johannesburg