"A Spectacular Place on the Garden Route" Top 5 Page for this destination Knysna by cokes
Knysna Travel Guide: 175 reviews and 357 photos
The town of Knysna, clustered around a vast tidal lagoon which opens to the sea through a narrow inlet guarded by two sandstone cliffs known as ?The Heads?, is the hub of the Garden Route, drawing more visitors than it can cope with, particularly during the peak summer holiday season.
The town has an interesting history, having started as a point of export for timber cut from the surrounding dense forests (which have been badly denuded as a result). In the early 19th century the town was almost solely owned by the enigmatic character George Rex, who was believed to be the illegitimate son of King George III of England. Rex fathered 13 children and is a legend in the Knysna area. The town features some quaint Victorian houses, a modern commercial waterfront development, a lovely sandy beach at Leisure Island on the east side of the lagoon, and some good shopping for local arts and crafts in the crowded town centre. There are some lovely scenic drives through the remaining indigenous forests in the area, and sampling Knysna oysters and locally brewed Mitchell?s beer is highly recommended.
Well another thing while at Knysna you can make your way to George , Plettenberg Bay , Mossel Bay ,The Wilderness as well Ousthoorn and the Cango Caves.
- Pros:Absolutely Beautiful
- Cons:Gets Very Boaring if you there to long.
- In a nutshell:A great place to spend a few days
I think when in Knysna , going to see the Knysna heads is a must. When at the heads there is a trial there that you can... more travel advice
This is really a beautiful mountain pass road. Its about 10KM or so from George on route to Oudtshoorn. There is places... more travel advice
cokes' Related Pages
Knysna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Spectacular Place on the Garden Route"
- "The Beautiful Garden Route"
- "City in a Forest"
- "Fern country"
- "KNYSNA-GARDEN ROUTE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Knysna
- Hotels in Knysna
- Transportation in Knysna
- Nightlife in Knysna
- Restaurants in Knysna
- Shopping in Knysna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Knysna
- 23 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Knysna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Knysna
Photos in KnysnaSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 118 reviews, 265 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 75 reviews, 227 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sun City Intro, 67 reviews, 216 photos, 7 travelogues
- Jakarta Intro, 28 reviews, 128 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hartbeespoort Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bali Intro, 35 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 25 reviews, 99 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yogyakarta Intro, 12 reviews, 110 photos, 6 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 21 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 21 reviews, 78 photos, 1 travelogue