"Shetland Islands - History and Nature Together" Top 5 Page for this destination Shetland by kathymof
Shetland Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 469 photos
The Shetlands are the most northerly group of islands in Great Britain. It is composed of about 100 islands and about 15 of these are inhabited. Ferries link many of the islands but reservations are a must. The locals laugh when they say they have 20,000 residents and 230,000 sheep. They are not kidding. But there are also lots of Shetland Ponies, sea birds and sea life. In many ways the Shetlands have closer cultural ties to Norway than to Great Britain. They featured heavily in the underground movement during WWII with their participation in what has come to be known as the "Shetland Bus". It is a great place to combine a love of archaeology and nature. Local history goes back several millennia and birding is out of this world.
- Pros:Full of natural beauty, wildlife and archaeology
- Cons:If you don't like the pros, there isn't much for you here
- In a nutshell:Beauty, wildlife and friendly people
Some people in Shetland still heat their homes with peat. There are vast peat cutting areas where families have... more travel advice
There is a wide variety of wild flowers growing in Shetland. Some are very common while others, such as Frog Orchid and... more travel advice
kathymof's Related Pages
Shetland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sea, sky, seals, seabirds, space and silence..."
- "Shetland Islands - History and Nature Together"
- "The Shetland Islands"
- "Shatland - a paradise for birdwatchers and hikers"
- "Foula Isle"
- "Ponies and Sheep but no Trees"
- "shetland islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shetland
- Hotels in Shetland
- Transportation in Shetland
- Nightlife in Shetland
- Restaurants in Shetland
- Shopping in Shetland
- Warnings and Dangers in Shetland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shetland
- 38 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Shetland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shetland
- Posted in Travel Dubai Forum "Re: Dubai airport"
- Commented on one of kathymof's Shetland travel pages
- updated a Shetland Travel Page "Shetland Islands - History and Nature Together"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Peat Cutting in Shetland"
- Wrote a Review Peat Cutting in Shetland about Shetland Crofthouse Museum in Shetland Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shetland Intro, 15 reviews, 45 photos
- Iceland 15 reviews, 44 photos
- Fair Isle Intro, 23 reviews, 34 photos
- Dijon Intro, 10 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chihuahua Intro, 8 reviews, 27 photos
- Lauterbrunnen Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Paris Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Inverness Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos
- Isla Santa María Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Manarola Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos