"Too Little Time in Edinburgh" Edinburgh by kathymof
Edinburgh Travel Guide: 3,516 reviews and 7,152 photos
Edinburgh is a delightful and lively gem of a city. You can keep busy for days with all of the historic sites. It is also a good location to work out of if you want to take the train to various close-by locations. Don't try to drive there unless you are used to driving in traffic on the "other side of the road". Brace yourself for the entry prices which are pretty steep but the attractions are well maintained and staffed with friendly and helpful people. Always be prepared for rain - even if the day starts out beautiful and clear.
When it rains, head into some of the wonderful museums. If you are planning on visiting Holyrood, check immediately to find out when it will be open as it closes a few weeks in advance whenever there is a royal visit. The zoo is a great place to go if you are traveling with children or are an adult who still finds wonder in things. The zoo has a Penguin Parade where penguins leave their huge domicile and parade around a part of the zoo, inches away from you. I admit that I went there just for the Penguin Parade and loved every second of it!
Buses go everywhere. The bus drivers were wonderful (with one grumpy exception) and made sure I knew when to get off. The locals were always striking up converstions with me - I was traveling alone. One very nice police officer gave me a very lengthy history of the Orange Parade I was watching and lots of info on Scottish ties to N. Ireland. We went on to discuss my Scots background and where my family was from as they were lowland Scots who went to N. Ireland before coming to the US. It was a wonderful place even if it was wet..
- Pros:Wonderful people and lots to see and do
- Cons:Expensive and parts are pretty touristy
kathymof's Related Pages
Edinburgh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Edinburgh Travel - A Special City - A Special View"
- "Scotland's Capital City"
- "Embra - Scotlands Capital City"
- "A guide to Edinburgh dining & nightlife"
- "Edinburgh - the capital of Scotland"
- "Opera and Graduation in Edinburgh"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Edinburgh
- Hotels in Edinburgh
- Transportation in Edinburgh
- Nightlife in Edinburgh
- Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Shopping in Edinburgh
- Warnings and Dangers in Edinburgh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Edinburgh
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Edinburgh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Edinburgh
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shetland Intro, 15 reviews, 45 photos
- Iceland 15 reviews, 44 photos
- Fair Isle Intro, 23 reviews, 34 photos
- Dijon Intro, 10 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chihuahua Intro, 8 reviews, 27 photos
- Lauterbrunnen Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Paris Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Inverness Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos
- Isla Santa María Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Manarola Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos