"Too Little Time in Edinburgh" Edinburgh by kathymof

Edinburgh Travel Guide: 3,449 reviews and 6,943 photos

Edinburgh is a delightful and lively gem of a city. You can keep busy for days with all of the historic sites. It is also a good location to work out of if you want to take the train to various close-by locations. Don't try to drive there unless you are used to driving in traffic on the "other side of the road". Brace yourself for the entry prices which are pretty steep but the attractions are well maintained and staffed with friendly and helpful people. Always be prepared for rain - even if the day starts out beautiful and clear.

When it rains, and it will...

When it rains, head into some of the wonderful museums. If you are planning on visiting Holyrood, check immediately to find out when it will be open as it closes a few weeks in advance whenever there is a royal visit. The zoo is a great place to go if you are traveling with children or are an adult who still finds wonder in things. The zoo has a Penguin Parade where penguins leave their huge domicile and parade around a part of the zoo, inches away from you. I admit that I went there just for the Penguin Parade and loved every second of it!

Getting around

Buses go everywhere. The bus drivers were wonderful (with one grumpy exception) and made sure I knew when to get off. The locals were always striking up converstions with me - I was traveling alone. One very nice police officer gave me a very lengthy history of the Orange Parade I was watching and lots of info on Scottish ties to N. Ireland. We went on to discuss my Scots background and where my family was from as they were lowland Scots who went to N. Ireland before coming to the US. It was a wonderful place even if it was wet..

• Pros:Wonderful people and lots to see and do
  • Cons:Expensive and parts are pretty touristy
  • Last visit to Edinburgh: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 26, 2004

Travelogues (1)

• zizkov's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2005 at 5:23 PM

Great zoo photos on your ext page - you should put some on VT! I haven't seen the penguins for years - must go back.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2004 at 10:50 PM

Great photos Kathy! I'm looking forward to my visit to Edinburgh, which will be next year and only for a few days!

kathymof

“Travel makes the whole world your classroom”

Badges & Stats in Edinburgh

Have you been to Edinburgh?

Latest Activity in Edinburgh