"Absolutely fascinating piece of human ingenuity" Falkirk by kathymof
Falkirk Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 99 photos
The Falkirk Wheel is a revolving boat lift - apparently the only one in the world. It is very much worth a visit if you are near Stirling. It is a true feat of engineering and human ingenuity. It was done as a millenium project and now connects the Forth & Clyde Canal with the Union Canal - thus restoring a very traditional means of transport in interior Scotland. What is especially nice is it takes only a few minutes to raise a boat with the lift where it would take almost a full day to use the locks that were used in the past.
The wheel replaces 11 locks. It is so perfectly balanced that it takes only 16 watts of energy (I think this is what we were told) to turn the wheel. The lift closes around the boats that have entered and essentially creates a big "bathtub". The water that is displaced by the boat allows the weight of both sides to equalize - it uses two counterbalanced "bathtubs".
You can take a ride on a canal boat that is lifted by the wheel. Then you go on a short ride on the canal - you get to go through a tunnel. It is great fun for all ages. And a real plus is that it is simply beautiful and graceful - I could stand there and just watch it forever.
Be sure to check out the Falkirk Wheel website at
http://www.thefalkirkwheel.co.uk/ - follow the links as there is lots to learn about this wonder of the modern world.
- Pros:Wonderful - go see it and enjoy!
- In a nutshell:Engineering elegance and beauty at its best
kathymof's Related Pages
Falkirk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Big Wheel Keep On Turnin'"
- "Very Big Wheel"
- "I didn't really visit it at all."
- "Falkirk Wheel"
- "Falkirk - the wheel and other things"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Falkirk
- Hotels in Falkirk
- Transportation in Falkirk
- Nightlife in Falkirk
- Restaurants in Falkirk
- Warnings and Dangers in Falkirk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Falkirk
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Falkirk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Falkirk
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shetland Intro, 15 reviews, 45 photos
- Iceland 15 reviews, 44 photos
- Fair Isle Intro, 23 reviews, 34 photos
- Dijon Intro, 10 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chihuahua Intro, 8 reviews, 27 photos
- Lauterbrunnen Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Paris Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Inverness Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos
- Isla Santa María Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Manarola Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos