"New Lanark" Lanark by kathymof
Lanark Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 85 photos
New Lanark is a World Heritage Site. It is an 18th Century cotton mill site that has been restored as a museum, visitor center and hotel. The mill was owned and managed by Robert Owen in the early 1800s. Owen was truly concerned with the welfare of his employees and this concern led him to action. In many ways this is where the labor movement started - he was concerned with worker safety, had compulsory education for children until the age of 10 or 12. His workers paid a small amount into a health fund and there was a hospital; he dramiatically improved living facilities and conditions; he provided child care; he was an early proponent of womens rights; he developed an adult night school; he established the first co-op where prices were reasonable and profits were reinvested. Don't scoff - this was the early 1800s and these were outrageously radical ideas. I think we all owe a debt of gratitude to Robert Owen because he clearly helped shape the world we work in.
During non-busy season you can drive into the village and park there. During the busy season, you park at the top of the River Clyde Canyon and hike down. It is steep enough that it would be a problem for someone with mobility problems or breathing problems. There is disabled access by car and of course access for people staying in the hotel and the self-catering cottages.
For more information on Robert Owen visit this web page
- Pros:Amazing - pretty emotional place
This was a wonderful, bright school room. All of the children who lived at New Lanark were required to attend school... more travel advice
There are several water features that were used for running the cotton mills. These are visible along the River Clyde... more travel advice
kathymof's Related Pages
Lanark Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "New Lanark"
- "NEW LANARK - UTOPIAN MODEL OR ORWELLIAN 1984?"
- "New Lanark a model cotton village"
- "New Lanark"
- "New Lanark: monument to "Visionary Socialism""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lanark
- Hotels in Lanark
- Transportation in Lanark
- Warnings and Dangers in Lanark
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lanark
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Lanark?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lanark
Photos in LanarkSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shetland Intro, 15 reviews, 45 photos
- Iceland 15 reviews, 44 photos
- Fair Isle Intro, 23 reviews, 34 photos
- Dijon Intro, 10 reviews, 26 photos
- Chihuahua Intro, 8 reviews, 27 photos
- Lauterbrunnen Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Paris Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Inverness Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos
- Isla Santa María Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Manarola Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos