"Fair Isle - More than a Knit Pattern" Fair Isle by kathymof
Fair Isle Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 85 photos
Fair Isle is about half-way between Orkney and the Shetland Islands. It is known as Britain's most isolated inhabited island. There are about 70 full-time residents and a few thousand sheep, along with a few dogs, cats and cattle who call the island home. It is best known for its famous Fair Isle Knit Pattern but birders know the real secret to Fair Isle is the large breeding population of seabirds and the large migratory populations that pass this way.
There are two ways to Fair Isle - water and air. Logan Air flys regularly scheduled flights, weather permitting. The Good Shepherd IV, a ferry, makes trips twice a week from Fair Isle to Sumburgh at the southern tip of Shetland (mainland island). Some people fly back after enduring sea sickness on the way over. The Good Shepherd is actually the mail boat that can take 12 passengers and two small vehicles. It is the first time I have ever seen a ferry's passenger compartment come with seat belts. It is best to stand on deck unless you are told to go in. The fresh air helps prevent sea sickness. The 4-person crew is very gentle with those who get sea sick. I enjoyed the ferry but make sure you are dressed warmly and in windproof garmets, have gloves and a hat. Don't do anything bad on Fair Isle because you can't sneak off this island!
- Pros:An isolated location with wonderful people
- Cons:If you can't enjoy the outdoors and nature, you're in trouble
Stewart Thompson Sr, the patriarch of the Thompson family, demonstrated spinning to us. It takes a lot of skill to keep... more travel advice
If you keep your eyes open you will see all sorts of beautiful little things all over Fair Isle. Here is a spider web... more travel advice
kathymof's Related Pages
Fair Isle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fair Isle - More than a Knit Pattern"
- "Fair Isle - Britain's most remote inhabited island"
- "Fair Isle"
- "Fair Isle"
- "wow i flew to Fair Isle!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fair Isle
- Hotels in Fair Isle
- Transportation in Fair Isle
- Nightlife in Fair Isle
- Shopping in Fair Isle
- Warnings and Dangers in Fair Isle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fair Isle
- 23 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Fair Isle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fair Isle
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Hampshire, UK property rentals"
- Commented on one of tini58de's Fair Isle travel pages
- Wrote a Review Wool spinning on Fair Isle in Fair Isle Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wool spinning on Fair Isle"
- updated a Fair Isle Travel Page "Fair Isle - More than a Knit Pattern"
Photos in Fair IsleSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shetland Intro, 15 reviews, 45 photos
- Iceland 15 reviews, 44 photos
- Fair Isle Intro, 23 reviews, 34 photos
- Dijon Intro, 10 reviews, 26 photos
- Chihuahua Intro, 8 reviews, 27 photos
- Lauterbrunnen Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- Paris Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Inverness Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos
- Isla Santa María Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Manarola Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos