"A great base, chilled and quaint." San Ignacio by LakeFever
San Ignacio Travel Guide: 173 reviews and 419 photos
As a general rule of thumb when I travel: when arriving in a new place head to the closest frequented bar and go from there.
Not only is it nice to have a cold one upon arriving, going to the bar easily encourages meeting people (staff and backpackers alike) who are always more than willing to help sort you out. Youll have great tips on where to stay, what to do AND within a short time of arriving youve met a few people already. Between a travel book and a few brews at the bar, its easy to get sorted in any unknown destination.
Note: Rule #2. At any time during your travels if you pass a bar or restaurant with your first or last name as the business name, you have to stop there for a quick one...some odd and cool things have happened using this theory....try it out.
From San Ignacio there are at least 4 or 5 Mayan ruins you can visit on day trips. Some harder to get to than others but each one a great adventure and fun day out. the ruins themselves are awesome...once you get into it, you realize they are like big jungle gyms. That is, it is encouraged to climb all over and around. There are of course areas that cannot be reached or are unaccessible, however, most of the ruins are open to go explore and walk the same routes the mayans did thousands of years ago. This particular photo was taken at the top of a ruin called Xunantunich (shoe nan too nich).....its a the top of a mile long hill/road and them you climb another 130ft up. from the top the view is amazing. With the hill and the height of the ruin, this is the highest view point (from a ruin) in all of Central America....in the distance is Guatemala. This was a great day on our trip and certainly one of the highlights. More about the ruins under "things to do" tips.
As I mentioned, San Ignacio is a small little quaint town where backpackers are constantly coming and going. This picture is from our first evening in town (the first of our trip)......by evening time we were having beers with a couple guys from Vancouver and another from Australia (hi Greg), among others. Some locals came by and started playing trans like bongos and drums....was quite cool. We also relaized later that Belikin beer on tap is very rare in Belize, so although we didnt know it, having decent draft beer on our trip was going to be rare.
- Pros:small town, easy to get to easy to get around, close jumping off point for Guatemala and ruins in west Belize, value priced, good mix of travelers going here there and everywhere, in talking to others you can get tons of ideas where to go next.
- Cons:Its a good place for 3 or 4 nights max, limited night life, many things are out of town so either bus or taxi required to access vs walking.
- In a nutshell:Had a great few days there, perfect place to start and then jump off into CA!
LakeFever's Related Pages
San Ignacio Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Ignacio - Temples, Caves & Tubing"
- "5 Days In Belize's Jungle"
- "The Lodge at Chaa Creek"
- "San Ignacio, Belize: Home Base For Adventure"
- "San Ignacio - a one stoplight town"
- "Bridge and Stoplight"
- "On horses through the Jungle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Ignacio
- Hotels in San Ignacio
- Transportation in San Ignacio
- Nightlife in San Ignacio
- Restaurants in San Ignacio
- Shopping in San Ignacio
- Warnings and Dangers in San Ignacio
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Ignacio
- 0 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to San Ignacio?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Ignacio
Photos in San IgnacioSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Phangan Intro, 38 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Phuket Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos
- Caye Caulker Intro, 8 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos
- Prague Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Manchester Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos
- Niagara Falls Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Laos Intro, 5 reviews, 17 photos
No friends yet.