"A Great little island....Chill out for a bit." Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Phangan by LakeFever
Ko Phangan Travel Guide: 396 reviews and 822 photos
The office map of Haadrin on the beach boasts 712 residents.....certainly during the travel season this number swells immensely and places to stay become more scarce....more times than not though, a bungalow can be found somewhere on the island. There are beaches on every stretch of all the coastlines and you can choose to stay on either the sunrise side (east) or the sunset side (on the west).....there is a huge amount of diversity on the island ranging from the all night full moon party to the deserted island chill in a hammock scene.....over the years travel here has increased and peak times can be more challenging in finding the ideal places to stay. Transportation is decent - as the island is fairly small - and taxis are available for 100baht to any direction from the ports. Some of the roads are sketchy so water taxis - or long boats - are a consideration as well. Ive visited Koh Phan on two different occasions - both over Christmas and New Years - and have absolutely loved every minute. You do though, have to be wanting and willing to meet people...put up with a little more noise and people (in some cases)..and have an open mind about the backpacker cliches that are popping up more and more.....you know...like sitting in a restaurant watching the movie The Beach.....95% percent of the place is fantastic! Its why I travel to Thailand. Chock Di!
This is an interesting contrast since I am standing with the ocean and shore behind me, where there is a row of bars and bungalows - beach long - in front of me. This is the beach where the full moon party takes place. Most evenings there is a decent party and vibes going. We enjoy visiting here but only for an evening or two....maybe a couple times while on the island. Taking in a good party night is fun but so too is finding that perfect beach to relax and then relax some more....Haad Rin is a bits nutty but it does have its place in any itinerary to the island. This place seems to bring out the most interesting backpackers Ive seen....a real collection from all around the world. Check out some of the other pics on here of Haad Rin...see if its something for you.
This is a good picture but a sad picture since it was taken from the back of the ferry leaving (Jan 2006)....the clouds reflect the weird weather we had when there....different than previously....although everyday had great sun, it would also rain at some point most days. The first time I visited it was sunny and hot each day with only a couple storms in the evening.
Travel to the island is pretty easy with various boats departing and returning to different locations from Koh Samui and the main land - Surrattanni. You can arrive at the Haad Rin or the Tong Sala ports all the way from BKK in a route that includes - train, bus, boat - 12hrs 1000baht. Alternatively you can fly from BKK to Koh Samui ($60-$75) and then 300 baht ferry.
- Pros:Good social scene, a huge mix of people from all over, easy to get around the island, most ammenities are within a short drive, a great place to chill cause thats what everyone is doing, youll fall in love with the place and want to stay!
- Cons:Can be too crowded during peak times, sometimes difficult to sort transportation on and off the island, some bungalo resorts are really budget minded...harder to find more moderate places, youll fall in love with the place and want to stay..
- In a nutshell:Everyday I try and figure out a way to move there!!!
Becareful.....if /when you are trying to boost your morrale or some sort of stomach ailment you think needs some good... more travel advice
I have no idea why the Thais feel that cagging up wild animals so they can look at them is ok. For 10 days these birds... more travel advice
- See All Low Key Accom PT2
- See All Game Bar in Tong Nai Pan PT#2
- See All Haad Rin Beach
- See All Crappy Thai boxing.
LakeFever's Related Pages
Ko Phangan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Great little island....Chill out for a bit."
- "Koh Phangan"
- "MY KO PHANGAN"
- "Dont skip Phangan!"
- "FULL MOON PARRR...TAAAAY!"
- "First time Visiting Tong Nai Pan"
- "Welcome to Paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ko Phangan
- Hotels in Ko Phangan
- Transportation in Ko Phangan
- Nightlife in Ko Phangan
- Restaurants in Ko Phangan
- Shopping in Ko Phangan
- Warnings and Dangers in Ko Phangan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ko Phangan
- 38 Reviews
- 131 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Ko Phangan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ko Phangan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Phangan Intro, 38 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Phuket Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos
- Caye Caulker Intro, 8 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos
- Prague Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Manchester Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos
- Niagara Falls Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Laos Intro, 5 reviews, 17 photos
No friends yet.