"Ladakh, Small Tibet" Top 5 Page for this destination Ladakh Range by kikalena

Ladakh Range Travel Guide: 199 reviews and 618 photos

Why the Indian Himalaya?

So far the Ladakh range has been the best travel experience I've ever had!
Why the Indian Himalaya?
It is the land where a traveller is confronted with treeless slopes culmintaing in snow cover mountain peaks as far as the eye can see, bright green and yellow fields of remote villages contrast with the bare brown of the mountain.
The Himalayan rock presents an amazing range of colors that I didn't know rocks can have: red, russet,purple,ochre,green........................ .
It is the land where two major religions : Buddism and Islam blend to create a unique culture.
In the past and nowadays Ladakh has always been , culturally and religiously, part of Tibet.
Now, many Tibetans from the occupied Tibet flee the Chineese opression to settle down in Ladakh and pracise freely their religion and culture.

Wheh you are up in the Himalayas, in the harmony with nature, the feeling of how fragile, small a human being is captures you unexpectedly.
Above all, I love this feeling of fragility, smallness and remoteness which one can have in the face of the greatness of the Himalaya..... .

What I appreciated most were the encounters with the Ladakhis.
I felt that these people are very special. Sometimes we exchanged long converstaions (in English and Ladakhis, although I don't speak Ladakhi:), sometimes just a glimpse or a smile, and I bear in my mind these moments as very precious and unforgetable.
These people live in exteremely harsh conditions (at around 4000 meteres above the see level) where they cultivate their fields and breed their animals in barren land. I have never seen happier people than themselves. The love and acceptance of life as it is, brightens their eyes when they smile and the smile brightens your soul as well.

• Pros:amazing poeple and the beauty of nature that can't be described by words
  • Cons:for travellers who don't mind harsh conditions
  • Last visit to Ladakh Range: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 5, 2010

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2010 at 4:26 AM

what a great destination...Thanks Marzena for sharing this great page with such informative tips with excellent pics..

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Leh and Ladakh are really very amazing places, was there in 1985 but in those times Leh wasn't polluted. Sorry, I somehow missed talking to you in Krakow.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Hi Marzena, it was a great meet with a lot of wonderful people. Nice speaking with and and nice page. I hope we meet again, Karl

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Great tips Marzena! Ladakh looks very beautiful and I hope to visit next year!

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Very interesting page! It makes me breathless to see those wonderful mountains.

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Hi Marzena, this is a very informative and useful page. I liked your tips and photos. all the best...

• GenuinelyCurious's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2008 at 1:21 AM

Thanks for your kind words. I enjoyed your mountain top ramble at the top of the world in India. I was in the deep south, enjoying the tropics again

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2008 at 6:10 AM

Thanks for Ladah Range page .I hope see you here in my country , i had a frined from PL and your people are lovely.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Good information and photos of Ladakh region. This is very rugged scenery but beautiful :)

• albertolai's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2007 at 1:13 PM

I enjoyed your Nubra Valley page. I very much wanted to go there when I was in Leh but unfortunately there was a smallpox outbreak and could not go. Well done!

kikalena

“Happiness is a way of travel - not a destination.”

Badges & Stats in Ladakh Range

Have you been to Ladakh Range?

Latest Activity in Ladakh Range