"Ladakh, Small Tibet" Top 5 Page for this destination Ladakh Range by kikalena
Ladakh Range Travel Guide: 199 reviews and 618 photos
So far the Ladakh range has been the best travel experience I've ever had!
Why the Indian Himalaya?
It is the land where a traveller is confronted with treeless slopes culmintaing in snow cover mountain peaks as far as the eye can see, bright green and yellow fields of remote villages contrast with the bare brown of the mountain.
The Himalayan rock presents an amazing range of colors that I didn't know rocks can have: red, russet,purple,ochre,green........................ .
It is the land where two major religions : Buddism and Islam blend to create a unique culture.
In the past and nowadays Ladakh has always been , culturally and religiously, part of Tibet.
Now, many Tibetans from the occupied Tibet flee the Chineese opression to settle down in Ladakh and pracise freely their religion and culture.
Wheh you are up in the Himalayas, in the harmony with nature, the feeling of how fragile, small a human being is captures you unexpectedly.
Above all, I love this feeling of fragility, smallness and remoteness which one can have in the face of the greatness of the Himalaya..... .
What I appreciated most were the encounters with the Ladakhis.
I felt that these people are very special. Sometimes we exchanged long converstaions (in English and Ladakhis, although I don't speak Ladakhi:), sometimes just a glimpse or a smile, and I bear in my mind these moments as very precious and unforgetable.
These people live in exteremely harsh conditions (at around 4000 meteres above the see level) where they cultivate their fields and breed their animals in barren land. I have never seen happier people than themselves. The love and acceptance of life as it is, brightens their eyes when they smile and the smile brightens your soul as well.
- Pros:amazing poeple and the beauty of nature that can't be described by words
- Cons:for travellers who don't mind harsh conditions
see description in Leh section above, here are some images more travel advice
Leh was opened for foreign tourists in 1947. Since then, mamy hotels and guesthouses have been established. It is a a... more travel advice
kikalena's Related Pages
Ladakh Range Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "the world at the end of the world"
- "Behind the Himalayas"
- "LADAKH, you can touch the Sky!"
- "Ladakh, Small Tibet"
- "Heaven on Earth ~~~Ladakh"
- "Walking on the Moon?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ladakh Range
- Hotels in Ladakh Range
- Transportation in Ladakh Range
- Nightlife in Ladakh Range
- Restaurants in Ladakh Range
- Shopping in Ladakh Range
- Warnings and Dangers in Ladakh Range
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ladakh Range
- 15 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Ladakh Range?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ladakh Range
- updated a Ladakh Range Travel Page "Ladakh, Small Tibet"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Euromeet 2010 in Krakow,..."
- Commented on one of radz's Ladakh Range travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "travelling on a bus roof"
- Wrote a Review Khardung La the highest motorable pass in Ladakh Range Warnings and Dangers
Photos in Ladakh RangeSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ladakh Range Intro, 15 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Romania Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ukraine Intro, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Eastern Carpathians Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Sweden Intro, 3 photos
- Poland Intro, 3 photos
- Nepal Intro, 3 photos
- Georgia Intro, 3 photos
- Gdansk Intro, 3 photos
- Lviv Intro, 3 photos