"Meet some friends in Recife" Top 5 Page for this destination Recife by LuisGuimaraes

Recife Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 348 photos

Charge batteries!

Previous stop: Belém

After some serious agony in Belém, there could never be anything better then meeting a sweet mama in Recife, who served me fresh orange juice in a clean bed!

We took a flight from Belém to Recife (which actually stopped twice before finally landing in our final destination - so.. more like a bus), where my travel mate was going to meet two old school friends from his times in the UK.

We stayed at one of thems' astonishingly magnificent modern flat in front of the beach, where himself and his fantastic mother treated us like two starving princes.

Recife itself is a modern (Brazil parameters) city, with its big white buildings, its poor favelas, its sticky heat and its rich beachside skyscrapers. Indeed, I wonder why brazillian big coastal cities build so many huge buildings in front of the beach. Not really eye-catching, but definately a landmark.

Recife happens to lie very near to many paradisiac beaches, being therefore a major touristic destination, especially for portuguese people. Sadly for anyone looking for information on those spots, I can't help, as our stop in Recife was more like a social meeting.

We did go to the beach in front of which the city lies, as our one-and-a-half-day stay was practically filled with a daytrip to sweet Olinda and some drinks in a great pub called UK.

In Recife, even if missing its wonderful beaches, I discovered a much greater and intangible mistery, that is called friendship. My mate and his brazilllian friends hadn't met for years, and yet it was as if they had never parted.

And all that meeting surrounded by caipirinhas, great sushi and a lot of "chop" - brazilliann word for pressure beer.

Even if it was planned a bit off the spirit of our trip, the Recife episode filled me with energy and humour. both for the meeting, the rest, the food and, as usual, that contagious happyness that grasses around the brazillian coast and which I had never been part of until then.

A daytrip called Olinda

After arriving in the morning plane and having an outstanding rest in a clean bed, we spent a fantastic afternoon in fascinating hill town Olinda, founded by my portuguese ancestors and irrepreensibly mantained by brazillian cultural authorities, a Unesco site, if I'm not wrong.

So...

Next stop: Olinda

or go back, to my Brazil intro page

or go even further back, to my South America intro page

• Last visit to Recife: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Aug 8, 2006

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2006 at 9:26 AM

This is a place i have always wanted to go to. I hope I can see the beauties in UK one day.

• LuisGuimaraes's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2006 at 6:39 AM

you're right, I should've stayed on the sand!!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2006 at 6:37 AM

A very enjoyable page. If I put the tips together correctly, the beach has plenty of small bikinis and the bar has beauties, but there are sharks in the water. Given a choice like that....!

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2006 at 7:37 PM

let the chop flow that could be even better than Brazilian Sharks

LuisGuimaraes

“Ice-age, heat wave - can't complain..”

Badges & Stats in Recife