"Aalsmeer means flowers!" Aalsmeer by angiebabe
Aalsmeer Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 86 photos
I have been to Amsterdam a number of times and still not got out to the flower markets i had read were recommended out at Aalsmeer - a destination that requires a very early start - but this time i was determined!
The buses that leave regularly, half hourly from Amsterdam take 45 minutes to get out there and back again! but they are regular and on time!
The worlds biggest flower auctions are daily Monday to Friday but start from 730 am until about 1pm - my lonely planet says arrive between 730 am and 9am - but i had to fit in the cheese markets at Almaar the same day too so i had to hurry!!
100 football fields!!?? well it took me at least 10-15 minutes to walk from the far end back to the entrance!
And how exciting - lots of colour and lots of flowers!
The whole length of the complex there were buckets and buckets of flowers on the move - like flower trains, going to and from the auction arenas where as many as 60,000 transactions a day are performed.
I love flowers with all their amazing and bright colours and the whole amazing creation of the beautiful things! - i also love architecture and design and patterns - and i love looking - the route along the way i noticed some very interesting designs of houses, an array of styles - old, traditional and rather modern.
- Pros:masses of colours to feast your eyes
- Cons:get out there early
The tourist office staffperson gave me directions in readiness for heading out from my hostel to the flower markets at... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Aalsmeer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Aalsmeer means flowers!"
- "If you say flowers, you say Aalsmeer"
- "Aalsmeer - The Place for flower auctions."
- "Aalsmeer tv-studio"
- "HOME OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FLOWER AUCTION"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aalsmeer
- Hotels in Aalsmeer
- Transportation in Aalsmeer
- Shopping in Aalsmeer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aalsmeer
- 3 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (149)
Have you been to Aalsmeer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aalsmeer
- Posted in Travel Beijing Forum "Re: Getting to and from Simatai"
- Commented on one of balhannah's Aalsmeer travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "bus to Aalsmeer flower auction"
- Wrote a Review bus to Aalsmeer flower auction in Aalsmeer Transportation
- updated a Aalsmeer Travelogue "beautiful flowers at the Aalsmeer flowerauction"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 106 reviews, 399 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 99 reviews, 387 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 62 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 28 reviews, 171 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 122 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues