"another pretty Dutch town - with lots of cheese!" Top 5 Page for this destination Alkmaar by angiebabe

Alkmaar Travel Guide: 126 reviews and 345 photos

Weekly cheese auction - quirky outfits!

Another interesting and colourful event! made it to this one at Almaar after managing to get to the also very colourful flower auctions at Aaslmeer earlier in the day. Best to arrive earlier in the morning though.

Pretty town around more canals

In amongst the stalls and markets - like a farmers market - with cheeses and other produce and money making efforts such as raw anchovies and dutch crepes and hand made clogs - for half the price i had seen at the airport - and even clog shaped slippers (yes i fell for them!) there were two canal boat companies in competition.

Tour of Almaar by canal boat.

Very recommended way to have a whirlwind tour of a place, bit like taking the open top bus tour option when you are in a hurry and want to condense your sights! - but pretty and relaxing(actually!! we had quite a number of bridges that on our low canal boat we still had to stoop our heads down very low to get under those bridges!! - so we probably actually got quite a bit of exercise and adrenalin output!)

• Pros:busy and touristed streets with charming buildings and canals, cheese auction photo opportunity with colourful costumes!
  • Last visit to Alkmaar: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 21, 2007

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2011 at 5:25 AM

I saw the name ALKMAAR very often on roadsigns when I was on holiday in the Netherlands (when I was a teenager), but I never had any idea that it was such a pretty and popular place! The town looks really beautiful on your pictures - thanks for showing them to us :-)

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Looks like cheese is definitely on the agenda. Nice page and definitely makes me want to visit Alkmaar. Chee(se)rs, John.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:33 AM

have you visited Alkmaar yet...maybe you should before cheese goes off the menu! do we really think that would be possible?

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2009 at 2:22 AM

Somehow I never got the idea of going up onto that peninsula north of Amsterdam. Looks and sounds really nice in your tips and travelogues.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:35 AM

its one of the places to see out of Amsterdam recommended in the LP guidebooks - which Im sure is mostly why ive got to so many interesting places during my travels around and around Europe! those that travel saying they dont need a guidebook must miss a lot of the places that are not normal standard destinations

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Jan 27, 2014 at 1:45 AM

Yes, I do try to use a guidebook of some sort on my travels. The one time I used LP was 1995 in Vietnam, when it was practically the only authoritative guidebook on the market. It was very useful, since Vietnam had changed dramatically since my military service thirty years before.
      "New places in Vietnam, 1995" - Vietnam by Nemorino

• ardnas67's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I read your tips of Alkmaar. I see you love historical sights gevelstenen.net/kerninventar... this link Here you'll find old house front stones. Otherwise see my page of Hoorn, off the beaten path!

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Good tips...Planning to do some sightseeing in my own country tomorrow :-) Cheers, Dennis

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2009 at 1:32 AM

Lovely buildings there. I like the idea of cloth slippers, will keep them in mind, and the Canal cruise, I think that maybe on the list of must do's now.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Jan 27, 2014 at 1:03 AM

Funny the things we buy when away, and when home, I think why on earth did I buy that!

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:10 AM

I dont think i thought about what Id do with a pen and pencil from every single place i visited - what would i do with half a box full and i guess the ink has perished now!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2008 at 7:22 AM

Must put Alkmaar on my towns to see list, for the next time we go to Holland. Love the idea of a canal tour.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2008 at 9:30 AM

Lovely photos here which bring back happy memories of my own trip to Alkmaar 12 years ago. It really is a delightful town and I enjoyed reading this page :))

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2008 at 2:20 AM

Nice place and page! I wouldn't know it from the few tiny B&W photos from 1947 I have in a shoebox - must look them out

• mazzap's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Nice page Angie, can't believe how much cheese there is there, do you think all the locals eat it?! Lovely buildings, well worth a visit!Marion xx.

angiebabe

“be prepared, be respectful, try the food, meet the people, walk, walk, walk, keep your eyes open and take your camera”

Badges & Stats in Alkmaar

Have you been to Alkmaar?

Latest Activity in Alkmaar