"another pretty Dutch town - with lots of cheese!" Top 5 Page for this destination Alkmaar by angiebabe
Alkmaar Travel Guide: 280 reviews and 554 photos
Another interesting and colourful event! made it to this one at Almaar after managing to get to the also very colourful flower auctions at Aaslmeer earlier in the day. Best to arrive earlier in the morning though.
In amongst the stalls and markets - like a farmers market - with cheeses and other produce and money making efforts such as raw anchovies and dutch crepes and hand made clogs - for half the price i had seen at the airport - and even clog shaped slippers (yes i fell for them!) there were two canal boat companies in competition.
Very recommended way to have a whirlwind tour of a place, bit like taking the open top bus tour option when you are in a hurry and want to condense your sights! - but pretty and relaxing(actually!! we had quite a number of bridges that on our low canal boat we still had to stoop our heads down very low to get under those bridges!! - so we probably actually got quite a bit of exercise and adrenalin output!)
- Pros:busy and touristed streets with charming buildings and canals, cheese auction photo opportunity with colourful costumes!
Interesting sights around Alkmaar, lovely old buildings still remaining from through the centuries, the canal... more travel advice
The weigh house here beside the canal, with its Renaissance facade, was originally a chapel and converted in 1582. Each... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Alkmaar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alkmaar from the inside"
- "another pretty Dutch town - with lots of cheese!"
- "A little page about Alkmaar"
- "SAY CHEESE"
- "Alkmaar, The Netherlands"
- "Alkmaar on a hot sunny day"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alkmaar
- Hotels in Alkmaar
- Transportation in Alkmaar
- Nightlife in Alkmaar
- Restaurants in Alkmaar
- Shopping in Alkmaar
- Warnings and Dangers in Alkmaar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alkmaar
- 13 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (160)
Have you been to Alkmaar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alkmaar
- Posted in Travel Turkey Forum "Re: Antalya, Fethiye or Bodrum?"
- updated a Alkmaar Travel Page "another pretty Dutch town - with lots of cheese!"
- Commented on one of angiebabe's Alkmaar travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "up the mainstreet"
- Wrote a Review Interesting statue approaching Alkmaar about Old City in Alkmaar Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 106 reviews, 416 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 106 reviews, 399 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 62 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 28 reviews, 171 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 37 reviews, 150 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 23 reviews, 143 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues