"1st Day in Greece!" Top 5 Page for this destination Corinth by angiebabe

Corinth Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 220 photos

Amazing Corinth Canal!

I actually had never heard of this until reading and seeing about it in Janetanne's page! Along with the likes of the Suez and the Panama canals these are feats of engineering and human ingenuity so I wanted to come see this - on my way to historic Ancient Corinth!

Ancient Corinth - where Paul the Apostle was

When I got here about 4pm a friendly old guy here at a little stall at the exit gate advised me that it had closed at 3pm and would reopen at 11am in the morning - hows that for visiting hours for a very popular tourist attraction in May still running on Winter opening hours! with sunrise at about 7am and sunset almost at 9pm!!
A couple of locals I spoke to said they were so upset about the effect this has on their businesses with tourists who end up being turned away so early!
But I did manage to get some nice afternoon and evening photos and drive on up to the Acro Corinth fortress.

The next day got to run around Ancient Corinth, especially with its museum full of historic treasure, and to the Tribunal building where Paul spoke from.

Acro Corinth

Another amazing addition to Corinth!! This place I loved so much I stayed up here for about 4 hours!! (ended up running so late and only got to Ancient Corinth in time to have a rapido 1 hour wizz around before the guards were blowing their whistles that it was closing time in 5 minutes!at the flabbergasting 3pm when the sun is up til almost 9pm!)

Sat for about an hour in a wonderful position in the sun on the fortress walls overlooking Ancient Corinth and the blue sea below me.

This spot would be fighting for top position of best castles or fortresses Ive visited - majestic entrance gate with its huge cobbled entrance road, way up on top of a huge hill! And the place was just absolutely covered in wonderful spring flowers of many colours but particularly wonderful were the poppies!

• In a nutshell:If you did well with your timing you could do these 3 sites - Corinth Canal, Ancient Corinth and AcroCorinth in one completely satisfying day!
  • Last visit to Corinth: May 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 20, 2008

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM

The Canal of Corinth was also the first thing I saw on my first day in Greece! (Arriving by ship many years ago.)

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Lovely photos of the canal. Hey, Have you been to Delphi? Mt Parnassos?

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2009 at 3:23 AM

Nice page here Angela! I had never heard of that canal either, but it is a must visit by the great photos you took. Would be interesting to do the tour through it, I think it would be amazing.

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2009 at 11:55 AM

We stayed her eonly for a couple of Hours by the banks of the canal.But the enormity of the building of it is hard to imagine. Lovely Photos!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Thank you Angela for bringing back sweet memories about the Corinth Canal! Unfortunately couldn't visit ancient Corinth...

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2008 at 1:04 AM

Great new tips on Corinth and the canal! We should go together next time! You can bungee jump and I'll take the photos!:): When are you coming back?

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2008 at 10:47 AM

great page. sorry you missed the bungee jump. things like the diolkos pathway fascinate me - these people were good. Nice page, waiting for ancient corinth.

angiebabe

“be prepared, be respectful, try the food, meet the people, walk, walk, walk, keep your eyes open and take your camera”

Badges & Stats in Corinth

Have you been to Corinth?

Latest Activity in Corinth