"Beautiful Mykonos!" Mykonos by angiebabe

Mykonos Travel Guide: 430 reviews and 1,018 photos

Piraeus overnight ferry to Mykonos -

I caught the 11pm overnight ferry from Piraeus - what a pallaver that was! the agency that helped me so much had told me there was a bus that ran along the port where there are official bus stops for the bus that drops off at the various ferry gates - turned out my gate was miles down and some drunk derelict guy told me there was no more buses! In the end I was running and then couldnt find the ferry gate and then that it was right around the other side of a small harbour! A taxi going past wouldnt stop and what a panic - and then eventually a taxi did stop and apparently knowing the ferry I needed was actually about to leave whisked me around to the gate and my bag into the back of the ship! So with only a couple of minutes to spare and in a major sweat and in almost exhaustion I then had to lug my suitcase up so many steps with none of the staff going past offering to help so that by then the officer who assigned me to a guy to show to my overnight room who did offer to help I couldnt be bothered to let him (reverse female psychology?)

The ticket was a bargain really - 31 euro for the overnight journey with bunk and ensuite - the lady I shared with didnt speak any english and mustve wondered about her room mate redfaced and covered in continuous sweat! but we tried to gesture to each other with hand signals and so on - and what a wonderful thing to have a clean shower on hand!

1st visit to the Cyclades

Approaching Mykonos on the ferry all that could be seen were lots of lights on the islands around us, some outline of the island as we passed and colours on the horizon that dawn was about to commence.

As we got off the ferry dawn was upon us and in the greyness cars were approaching the dock - from a long road that looked a rather long way from civilisation - one of two taxis arrived that were filled and wizzed off - I just kept walking as there were no more cars to be seen! no port building with anyone around or phones by the look of it - I luckily was the first that a taxi came to and about 530 I was dropped off in the centre of Mykonos at a cafe the taxi driver reckoned was a place I could get good coffee and leave my bag until places opened - beautiful buildings already apparent next to the sea. And loads of young partygoers in very small or very short nightclubbing outfits!

Enjoying the white streets, flowers,windmills....

After a 2.50 euro tiny small coffee I was kindly able to leave my bag at the cafe and head off up the hill in the direction of 'windmills' and the sunrise which eventually took me up into the countryside - not much of the sunrise as the countryside seemed to just go on and on - but lovely houses and paddocks with flowers, goats and a very cute dog in his frontyard.

Nice views from up there though over Mykonos' white washed houses and flower and rock wall sided country lanes, little white churches and....windmills!... down to the sea. A rather pretty and satisfying sight and start to my first time in Greece island hopping adventure!

Then it was a matter of, after enjoying and taking many many photo of the wonderful little houses with so many cute doors and steps and flowers along the narrow paths and lanes, - with hardly a soul about!what a bonus hey!thats why I really had such an overall great day on Mykonos! - moving my bag from the cafe to the luggage dept at some ticket office.....about 15 minutes walk back towards the ferry port! and then a rush back to catch the next boat to Delos.....!

• Pros:its beautiful - in the town but go for a walk up over the hill and see some rural life too - its beautiful!
  • Cons:hearing negative comments about Mykonos being too touristy!its beautiful!
  • Last visit to Mykonos: May 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 20, 2008

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2009 at 1:14 AM

Some nice photos Angela, I like the windmills.

• Aug 18, 2009 at 6:50 AM

Greece have more beautiful islands from Mykonos.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2009 at 4:03 AM

Mykonos is beautiful during spring!...

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
      Oct 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM

very beautiful in spring! loved it! was always happy as i love seeing poppies and fields of flowers and they were there on Mykonos!...and Delos!

• Herwig1961's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Great fotos here!Thanks for put me on your friend`s list!!!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Lovely Mykonos photos, Angela. Wish I'd had enough time to see more of the island away from the main town - the more rural areas look beautiful! Cute dog photos! :-)

angiebabe

“be prepared, be respectful, try the food, meet the people, walk, walk, walk, keep your eyes open and take your camera”

Badges & Stats in Mykonos

Have you been to Mykonos?

Latest Activity in Mykonos