"Beautiful Mykonos!" Mykonos by angiebabe
Mykonos Travel Guide: 430 reviews and 1,018 photos
I caught the 11pm overnight ferry from Piraeus - what a pallaver that was! the agency that helped me so much had told me there was a bus that ran along the port where there are official bus stops for the bus that drops off at the various ferry gates - turned out my gate was miles down and some drunk derelict guy told me there was no more buses! In the end I was running and then couldnt find the ferry gate and then that it was right around the other side of a small harbour! A taxi going past wouldnt stop and what a panic - and then eventually a taxi did stop and apparently knowing the ferry I needed was actually about to leave whisked me around to the gate and my bag into the back of the ship! So with only a couple of minutes to spare and in a major sweat and in almost exhaustion I then had to lug my suitcase up so many steps with none of the staff going past offering to help so that by then the officer who assigned me to a guy to show to my overnight room who did offer to help I couldnt be bothered to let him (reverse female psychology?)
The ticket was a bargain really - 31 euro for the overnight journey with bunk and ensuite - the lady I shared with didnt speak any english and mustve wondered about her room mate redfaced and covered in continuous sweat! but we tried to gesture to each other with hand signals and so on - and what a wonderful thing to have a clean shower on hand!
Approaching Mykonos on the ferry all that could be seen were lots of lights on the islands around us, some outline of the island as we passed and colours on the horizon that dawn was about to commence.
As we got off the ferry dawn was upon us and in the greyness cars were approaching the dock - from a long road that looked a rather long way from civilisation - one of two taxis arrived that were filled and wizzed off - I just kept walking as there were no more cars to be seen! no port building with anyone around or phones by the look of it - I luckily was the first that a taxi came to and about 530 I was dropped off in the centre of Mykonos at a cafe the taxi driver reckoned was a place I could get good coffee and leave my bag until places opened - beautiful buildings already apparent next to the sea. And loads of young partygoers in very small or very short nightclubbing outfits!
After a 2.50 euro tiny small coffee I was kindly able to leave my bag at the cafe and head off up the hill in the direction of 'windmills' and the sunrise which eventually took me up into the countryside - not much of the sunrise as the countryside seemed to just go on and on - but lovely houses and paddocks with flowers, goats and a very cute dog in his frontyard.
Nice views from up there though over Mykonos' white washed houses and flower and rock wall sided country lanes, little white churches and....windmills!... down to the sea. A rather pretty and satisfying sight and start to my first time in Greece island hopping adventure!
Then it was a matter of, after enjoying and taking many many photo of the wonderful little houses with so many cute doors and steps and flowers along the narrow paths and lanes, - with hardly a soul about!what a bonus hey!thats why I really had such an overall great day on Mykonos! - moving my bag from the cafe to the luggage dept at some ticket office.....about 15 minutes walk back towards the ferry port! and then a rush back to catch the next boat to Delos.....!
- Pros:its beautiful - in the town but go for a walk up over the hill and see some rural life too - its beautiful!
- Cons:hearing negative comments about Mykonos being too touristy!its beautiful!
the ferries to Delos run half hourly til about 3pm taking about 45 minutes to get to the island where the ancient ruins... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Mykonos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A place you must go when you go to Greece!"
- "Oh my! Mykonos!"
- "MYKONOS - HOME OF PETROS AND DOORWAY TO DELOS"
- "Mykonos, The Party Island"
- "THE BEST PLACE ON EARTH"
- "Mykonos: It's the Only Way to Get to Delos"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mykonos
- Hotels in Mykonos
- Transportation in Mykonos
- Nightlife in Mykonos
- Restaurants in Mykonos
- Shopping in Mykonos
- Warnings and Dangers in Mykonos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mykonos
- 2 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Mykonos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mykonos
- Posted in Travel Ephesus Forum "Re: Istanbul to Selcuk by bus..."
- Commented on one of angiebabe's Mykonos travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Early morning sights and sunrise"
- created a Mykonos Travelogue "Early morning sights and sunrise"
- Wrote a Review Ferry to Delos about By Ferry in Mykonos Transportation
Photos in MykonosSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 112 reviews, 425 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 97 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 61 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 27 reviews, 166 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 139 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues