"Wonderful mix of history by the sea on Crete" Rethymno by angiebabe
Rethymno Travel Guide: 191 reviews and 438 photos
According to my copy of the Rough Guide on Greece the fortress here at Rethymno is possibly the largest surviving Venetian fortress in Europe.
Regardless this is an impressive site in an impressive spot perched above the ancient town and waters around it - particularly at the first glimpse of the fortress walls when turning off the main highway to .
A number of buildings are preserved within the Fortezza, including a mosque with one of the largest domes in Greece, built after the city fell to the Turks in 1646.
With its accompanying attractive views across the old town and 180 degrees of blue waters in the other direction this historical site is well worth a visit for an hour or two.
- Pros:Fortezza with loads of history and views, fantastic medieval streets and buildings with such a mix of styles, cultures and history!
- Cons:theres more to see in and around the old town than I realised!! allow enough time to see enough of the wonderful medieval streets and buildings!
- In a nutshell:well worth a visit!
angiebabe's Related Pages
Rethymno Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- " RETHYMNO - PLACE TO BE!!! "
- "Got you Under my Skin..."
- "daytrip to Rethymno"
- "Rethymnon: Summer 2005 & Summer 2006"
- "Rethymnon, Crete"
- "Picturesque old town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rethymno
- Hotels in Rethymno
- Transportation in Rethymno
- Nightlife in Rethymno
- Restaurants in Rethymno
- Shopping in Rethymno
- Warnings and Dangers in Rethymno
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rethymno
- 2 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (145)
Have you been to Rethymno?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rethymno
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: VT Euromeet - Post Meet in..."
- Commented on one of angiebabe's Rethymno tips
- updated a Rethymno Travelogue "Greek or are they Cretan Bees and Bumblebees?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Greek or are they Cretan Bees and Bumblebees?"
- Wrote a Review The mosque of Sultan Ibrahim Han in Rethymno Things to Do
Photos in RethymnoSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 106 reviews, 399 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 99 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 62 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 28 reviews, 171 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues