"Amazing Hong Kong" Hong Kong by angiebabe
Hong Kong Travel Guide: 8,656 reviews and 21,186 photos
One week conference in 1996 with Nurses Christian Fellowship International - nurses from all over the world came - an amazing experience - included a visit to a psychiatric hospital and a day trip of sight seeing
- followed by 5 weeks with a missions organisation with people from around the world and Hong Kong - travelling around Hong Kong and many trips into Guangdong - Shenzhen, Guangzhou and Zhongshan - meeting many locals on our travels - lived in a house in the suburbs - had time off to see things after the days schedule and on days off, so I got time to travel all over Hong Kong, a friend also came over from Sydney who was originally from HK years before so took him travelling as well - he marvelled at all the changes and at the variety of places I was going to visit as per the Lonely Planet guidebooks recommendations ie out in the areas that are still countryside such as Kam Tin in the New Terratories - also shouted me one of the most memorable meals ever at HK Planet Hollywood!! and some beautiful HK silk, also went to Macau to visit a friend I made from this missions organisation and stayed with her a couple of days - she worked for Teen Challenge in Macau that had an excellent success record with helping Teenagers get off drugs and helping with their social issues.
Highlight of my stay would include a visit to Pastor Samuel Lam in Guangzhou who ran one of Chinas largest house churches and had a long history of imprisonment for his Christian belief and activities.
Flew to Beijing for a few days seeing the sights, flew on up to Harbin for the Ice Carving festival, flew down to Chong Qing and took a 3 day boat down the Yangtze river to Wuhan, train to Guangzhou and another train to Hong Kong to meet and join a group from Australia and New Zealand flying to an orphanage in the middle of China for 2 weeks.
here for a night/2 days Iin July getting an express visa arranged to go back into China, and a great time meeting up for a delicious dinner at Maxim's with some local Id meet during a medical volunteer week in China...flew down to Shenzhen then bus all the way to Wanchai to the visa office and had booked a night at the Harbourview only 5-10 minutes walk from the visa office.
Then turbo ferried off to Macau for a couple of nights and ferry to Shenzhen to take a flight back into China.....
back at the end of another visa in October with the intention of getting another visa to get back in to get autumn shots of famed places around China - review by a hand specialist at a hospital here in HK reviewed a hyperflexing deforming little finger post dislocation and manipulation into place up at Kanas national park 3 weeks earlier, needed urgent surgery so not much of the 4 days here was used in seeing many of the places I had in mind to get back to...
27 November I arrived back in Hong Kong and on my 8th night so far....
- Pros:fast pace, so colourful and so much happening - a fantastic place for photos, excellent food - famous for wonderful cuisine of South China, beautiful harbour - appreciate it with fantastic views from Victoria Peak, public transport is excellent
- Cons:accommodation is very expensive, sometimes the number of people on the streets can become overwhelming - an ordeal to get anywhere if you are in a hurry and a pedestrian, some outlying areas the buses are a bit infrequent
- In a nutshell:so much going on - exhilerating! a feast for your senses and for your camera!
Transportation in Hong Kong is excellent - very efficient and very conveniently covering for getting around anywhere in... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Hong Kong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Jewels of Hong Kong"
- "Welcome to my favourite city in the world"
- "Hong Kong: City of Life with Endless Motions!"
- "Keeweechic's Hong Kong SAR"
- "Hong Kong"
- "Hong Kong"
- "Hong Kong"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hong Kong
- Hotels in Hong Kong
- Transportation in Hong Kong
- Nightlife in Hong Kong
- Restaurants in Hong Kong
- Shopping in Hong Kong
- Warnings and Dangers in Hong Kong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hong Kong
- 3 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (160)
Have you been to Hong Kong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hong Kong
- Posted in Travel Turkey Forum "Re: Antalya, Fethiye or Bodrum?"
- updated a Hong Kong Travel Page "Amazing Hong Kong"
- Commented on one of SWFC_Fan's Hong Kong tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Website for destinations from HK airport"
- Wrote a Review Website for destinations from HK airport about Kai Tak Airport in Hong Kong Transportation
Photos in Hong KongSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 106 reviews, 416 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 106 reviews, 399 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 62 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 28 reviews, 171 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 37 reviews, 150 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 23 reviews, 143 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues