"Getting to know Dadizele-because of special people" Dadizele by angiebabe
Dadizele Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 92 photos
Apparently people get given nick names or labels according to where they come from -- Patje, who we met at Kortrijk, apparently gets nicknamed donkey in Flemish because theres lots of donkeys where he's from - People from Dadizele get nick named Pumpshiters because a man got drunk, ate too many plum tarts - of which Dadizele is also famous for - and went and let loose over a water well/pump!
But I was blessed with being hosted by VTer Wandeljp/Jean-Pierre when visiting Belgium for the Kortrijk VT meet and meeting his lovely wife Rosa, who as is hospitable as her wonderful cooking!, who also actively host home guests via Couchsurfing.com and the Hospitality Club. Both these people just didnt seem to be able to stop the flow of generousity and hospitality! (what wonderful ambassadors of VT and of Belgium!!)
Also a wonderful bonus was having the opportunity to get to meet and have the company of a special VTer couple Coucou7/Madeleine and her husband Jacques who were also staying with JP and Rosa for the weekend.
On the lovely sunny Sunday morning following the Kortrijk VT morning JP gave a nice and relaxing walking tour of his town Dadizele, with a bit of local history and a visit to his favourite pub for a beer thrown in!
Apparently some time back there was some miracle or stigmata occurrence which now has Dadizele on the map for Catholic pilgrims to visit throughout the month of May.
There were flags prominently along the main street with Ave Maria, which gives homage to Mary, and many people coming out of the church where frequent services were on its schedule for the morning.
We walked up to the edge of town where Dadizele's military cemetary can be found. The farm house in this photo is the oldest building in Dadizele and one of the few if not only that survived the WW1 fighting that went on here. JP explained that the people who lived here had been evacuated.
The information board at the British Cemetary wrote that the Germans had control over the town and area from early on in the war until September 1918.
Part of my interest in visiting this area has been to see and learn where so many New Zealanders and Australians and British and Canadians - members of the Imperial Armies or Commonwealth - died in the battles and terrible conditions that were WW1 on and around the Flanders Fields.
Much appreciated was JP taking us to the largest Commonwealth Military cemetary, outside of Britain, of Tynecot, and to the NZ and Australian Memorials, not far from Dadizele.
Walk right around the lake so you get to see the view right through across the lake to the church and 'castle'. We got... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Dadizele Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Getting to know Dadizele-because of special people"
- "Meeting up in Daisel"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dadizele
- 6 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Dadizele?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dadizele
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Not a question- but re Malaria"
- updated a Dadizele Travel Page "Getting to know Dadizele-because of special people"
- Wrote a Review Dadizele British Cemetary and War Graves in Dadizele Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dadizele British Cemetary and War Graves"
- Commented on one of wandeljp's Dadizele travel pages
Photos in DadizeleSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 112 reviews, 421 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 97 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 61 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 27 reviews, 166 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 139 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 29 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues