"history and meaning for Aussies, NZrs and so many" Ieper by angiebabe
Ieper Travel Guide: 464 reviews and 1,301 photos
I wanted to visit Ypres for its history of so many allied soldiers who died here, our significance of the poppy to symbolise the regard we give to the memory of those who died and especially for our ANZAC day memorials developed here.
Now its 2008 and it is the 90th anniversary this year of the end of the Great War - 11th November 1918 - a significant date to remember the sacrifices of that hundreds of thousands of British and Commonwealth Servicmen made - not just at the Western Front, but at Gallipoli and in the Middle East as well.
Here beside the ramparts of the Menin Gate Memorial Ypres - the only place in the world where the fallen of the Great War are remembered each day - the Royal British Legion is planting a 'Flanders Field' of poppies - printed poppies with messages from all over Britain.
IN FLANDERS FIELDS
In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high,
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields
Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD,
Canadian Army (1872-1918)
John McCrae is remembered for what is probably the best known and most popular of all World War 1 poetry. He was so moved by the death of Lieutenant Alexis Helmer who had been killed by a shell burst, and inspired by the profusion of wild poppies he could see in the nearby cemetary, that he wrote 'In Flanders Fields'. Sadly John McCrae died from pneumonia whilst on active duty in 1918.
- Pros:a centre of history, 300,000 soldiers died in WWI Belgium and so poignant, but well kept cemetaries and reminders, much provision for the traveller to see sites, daily Last Post rain or shine,ongoing respect for the dead and their descendants living
A large memorial with 55,000 names of the 300,000 or more who died without named or marked graves - roam and feel the... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Ieper Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ieper (Ypres) touches all senses in extremes"
- "IEPER-YPRES EMOTIONS."
- "The Great War is never far away . . ."
- "A Living Memorial...and MORE!!"
- "Ieper - West of Flanders"
- "Ieper (Ypres)"
- "Wild West Vlaanderen Meeting April 21, 2007 Pt. 1"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ieper
- Hotels in Ieper
- Transportation in Ieper
- Nightlife in Ieper
- Restaurants in Ieper
- Shopping in Ieper
- Warnings and Dangers in Ieper
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ieper
- 4 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Ieper?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ieper
- Posted in Travel Turkey Forum "Re: Hamman in Fethiye, Oludeniz"
- Commented on one of margaretvn's Ieper travel pages
- updated a Ieper Travel Page "history and meaning for Aussies, NZrs and so many"
- Uploaded a Photo to "be there to hear the bugler at Menins Gate"
- Wrote a Review Hill 60/62 significant WWI site about Hill 62 in Ieper Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 112 reviews, 421 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 96 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 60 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 27 reviews, 166 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 139 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 28 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (215)
Latest Ieper hotel reviews
- Best Western Flanders Lodge
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Hotel Ariane
- 400 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Kasteelhof 't Hooghe
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Novotel Ieper Centrum
- 355 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 4, 2013