"Annick!" Top 5 Page for this destination Alnwick by angiebabe

Alnwick Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 96 photos

The Alnwick Fair

I timed my visit to this interesting town with its market square and cobbled streets during its annual Alnwick Fair which dates back to medieval times and in which the locals are costumed for the event.

Castles a plenty!

I had caught the train up to Newcastle and then drove on up with a rental car to Alnwick with sights along the way.

Not just the Alnwick Fair but with Northumberland probably having more castles than anywhere in England I had a few sights in my plans for a few days driving around here. Including Lindisfarne Castle on Holy Island, the enormous castle of Bamburgh and the castle of Alnwick itself famous for the location of the Harry Potter movies (I think at that stage I still hadnt even seen one of the movies though!).

Cragside

The other attraction which I so excitedly visited, 13 miles SW of Alnwick, and put me in design and architectural heaven was this wonderful house which was the revolutionary home of Lord Armstrong, Victorian inventor and landscape genius.

This house full of wonderful art deco style and crammed with ingenius gadgets was the first house in the world to have been lit by hydroelectricity.

Surrounding the house, up on a rocky crag above Debdon Burn, is one of Europe's largest 'handmade' rock gardens and in the Pinetum below is England's tallest Douglas Fir.

• In a nutshell:An excellent centre for wonderful things to see around Northumberland
  • Last visit to Alnwick: Jun 2002
  • Intro Written Jul 18, 2008

Comments

angiebabe

“be prepared, be respectful, try the food, meet the people, walk, walk, walk, keep your eyes open and take your camera”

Badges & Stats in Alnwick

Have you been to Alnwick?

Latest Activity in Alnwick