"Annick!" Top 5 Page for this destination Alnwick by angiebabe
Alnwick Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 96 photos
I timed my visit to this interesting town with its market square and cobbled streets during its annual Alnwick Fair which dates back to medieval times and in which the locals are costumed for the event.
I had caught the train up to Newcastle and then drove on up with a rental car to Alnwick with sights along the way.
Not just the Alnwick Fair but with Northumberland probably having more castles than anywhere in England I had a few sights in my plans for a few days driving around here. Including Lindisfarne Castle on Holy Island, the enormous castle of Bamburgh and the castle of Alnwick itself famous for the location of the Harry Potter movies (I think at that stage I still hadnt even seen one of the movies though!).
The other attraction which I so excitedly visited, 13 miles SW of Alnwick, and put me in design and architectural heaven was this wonderful house which was the revolutionary home of Lord Armstrong, Victorian inventor and landscape genius.
This house full of wonderful art deco style and crammed with ingenius gadgets was the first house in the world to have been lit by hydroelectricity.
Surrounding the house, up on a rocky crag above Debdon Burn, is one of Europe's largest 'handmade' rock gardens and in the Pinetum below is England's tallest Douglas Fir.
- In a nutshell:An excellent centre for wonderful things to see around Northumberland
The Lonely Planet Guidebook says that if you like castles dont miss this one! This castle has probably got a lot of... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Alnwick Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The best place to live.....officially."
- "Alnwick - Garden, castle and lovely shops"
- "Day trip to Alnwick"
- "A Great Family Day Out-Alnwick Castle and Gardens"
- "Don't Miss Alnwick"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alnwick
- Hotels in Alnwick
- Transportation in Alnwick
- Restaurants in Alnwick
- Shopping in Alnwick
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alnwick
- 2 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Alnwick?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alnwick
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 112 reviews, 421 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 97 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 61 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 27 reviews, 166 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 139 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 29 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (240)
Latest Alnwick hotel reviews
- White Swan Hotel - Alnwick
- 480 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Tower Restaurant & Accommodation
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 22, 2013
- West Acre House
- 311 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Redfoot Lea Bed and Breakfast
- 191 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- 308 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013