"Lovely Linhares" Linhares by angiebabe
Linhares Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 52 photos
The rough guide gives info on Linhares making it one of the recommended and more interesting villages of the Serra de Estrela to visit and also as an entry point into the park.
The village church was discovered to unknowingly have had 3 paintings of one of Portugal's artists Grao Vasco - but of course it was closed and the paintings off limits - but the pay desk at the castle did have postcards of one of the paintings so that was something - and also a helpful map of the village with the sights and architectural finds to see.
Me and my obsession with seeing all things unbelievably old and before my time!! which of course includes a Roman crawl all over Europe!! and that includes here! Linhares is not the only village or locality with advertised original roman road and i was not aware until i got a map guide from the castle warden - so that was exciting - and i found it!!
This road, i am told, ran all the way to Braga!, with huge paving stones - i could imagine the poor guys heaving away trying to lay these stones - and here they are all these hundreds of years later and i am walkiing on them!
Stone houses and streets really give the medieval and ancient feel. Even houses made around and into rocks and boulders!! Following the map guide i was thankfully given i could go also to see what apparently was manueline style - ie a style from the 15 and 16th centuries.
Also animal pens and houses right in the village too but i didnt see any donkeys that the Rough Guide guidebook said i might see!
The whole village had interesting character.
- Pros:lots to see as you roam around the whole village, very old and historic, architecture and style through the ages
- Cons:i needed more time than i planned, the church with the Vasco paintings i think does not open for the public to see
- In a nutshell:really cute and photogenic - especially the house with boulders in their walls.
Manueline style apparently is named after King Manuel 1495-1521, and characterised by a use of elaborate ornamentation... more travel advice
cute houses, with cute doors, roses and flowers, cute little windows, cute little passageways more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Linhares Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Linhares
- 10 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (161)
Have you been to Linhares?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Linhares
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 106 reviews, 416 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 106 reviews, 399 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 62 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 28 reviews, 171 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 37 reviews, 150 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 23 reviews, 143 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues