"One of Portugals most active fishing ports." Top 5 Page for this destination Peniche by angiebabe

Peniche Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 189 photos

Visited on my way from Areia Branca to Obidos

So why not visit. Another fortress and rugged coastline- out to the Cape Carvoeiro.
The sixteenth century fortress/Fortaleza at Peniche was one of the dictator Salazar's most notorious jails expanded to accommodate the growing crowds of political prisoners.

Cabo Carvoeiro

Rugged coastline with crashing blue water around the Cape with its lighthouse and views over to the Island of Behlenga 10 km away offshore.

• Pros:Historic buildings, lots of people visiting for the local seafood and a festival day out at the Cape.
  • Cons:Got absolutely lost on the way back from Peniche - by the time i found my way i was so frustrated!
  • In a nutshell:Must be lovely in summer - especially the boat trip to Ilha Berlenga
  • Last visit to Peniche: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 24, 2007

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2009 at 4:25 AM

Excellent little page about Peniche here. Honestly speaking I already had a look at your page when we were in Porto on the 23rd of May 2009, but then didn't leave any ratings. Your page was actually the reason why we went there. *winkygrin*

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Just checking out your lovely page as we might go there.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Thanks for the close-up looks at both the Fortaleza and Cabo Cavoeiro - things I missed due to time constraints!! I can confirm that the Restaurante Popular is very good! I like the way you observe things :))

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2008 at 5:17 AM

Its a lovely fishing village. I have been to HL many times but am not really familiar with the sea-sides.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2008 at 12:49 AM

Stunning coastal scenery. Right up my street.....

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2007 at 9:15 AM

Yay! I am a pioneer yet again... all these hidden gems of pages, advertise them on your homepage Angie, so people can have a look. Lovely :)

angiebabe

“be prepared, be respectful, try the food, meet the people, walk, walk, walk, keep your eyes open and take your camera”

Badges & Stats in Peniche

Have you been to Peniche?

Latest Activity in Peniche