"Another castle notch on my belt - and im chuffed!" Alburquerque by angiebabe
Alburquerque Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 12 photos
Loved this place! ARrived in the dark and it was a race to get to the youth castle before closing time as i wanted by all odds to stay in it!! I could see it lit up in the distance ahead of me high on a hill - but could i find the road up to it!? One sign post, and then wheres the next!!
Rabbit warren of streets, being the old centre of town and the hub of activity, seemed a busy place with lots of people around the streets at 11pm - i drove around, up and down the same streets to pick up the signposting .got out and walked around and still couldnt find it, eventually up one little side street! and up and up it went and the castle was looming above me - but it was closed!! and definitely no-one was going to answer the door bell!!
Well, road weary and in need of a cup of tea i had to decide where to stay - the persons previously answeriing the phone of the youth hostel number at the next town, Valencia da Alcantara sounded like they were in a pub and certainly werent directing me to come stay in their hostel!
For a town with such an excellent castle i am really surprised that nothing is written on the town in the usually very thorough to every little town Rough guide book - so all i could do was drive around and look for somewhere - one advertising hotel looked like a pub, the one next to it was stripped in the middle of renovations - and of course, a kind hearted soul yet again pointed me in the direction of a hotel along the main road - i had passed it several times and seemingly missed it - how did i do that!!
The dear couple running the motel, the looks on their faces of some rather bleary eyed very weary solo woman traveller appearing at some crazy hour after 11 pm for a room - how kind! - even a cup of tea was no trouble and do they realise how excellent it was!!
Time was of the essence - this was my last day in which to get across the border to see some of Portugal and then get down to see the Seville April Fair - so i had lots to do!
But up to the castle i must go first! and another glorious day certainly added to the excitement! Protective walls and ramparts all looked restored, nicely intact and up i went - the castle is perched right up on top of a precipice type of hill, sharp drop on the other side and so no way into the castle but by the front door! anyway up along the wall running along the precipice to meet the castle before i realised i had to go back down the same way - but no guard rails on the flat topped wall - that was a bit of a adrenalin rush, bit terrified actually but slowly made my way down in bare feet and made it , happily semi explored what is now made its way to the top of my castle list!
- Pros:little medieval town near the border of Portugal, excellent castle with nice view
- Cons:dont know yet!
Head up to the castle if you are not already staying in it, and make your way around the castle walls, check out the... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Alburquerque Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Another castle notch on my belt - and im chuffed!"
- "Alburquerque Fortress Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alburquerque
- Hotels in Alburquerque
- Restaurants in Alburquerque
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alburquerque
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Alburquerque?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alburquerque
- Posted in Travel Guangzhou Forum "Re: Barista Equipment"
- Commented on one of angiebabe's Alburquerque travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Roam around the castle walls"
- updated a Alburquerque Travel Page "Another castle notch on my belt - and im chuffed!"
- Wrote a Review Life saviour late at night! in Alburquerque Hotels
Photos in AlburquerqueSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 105 reviews, 415 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 106 reviews, 399 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 62 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 28 reviews, 171 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 23 reviews, 143 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues