"Moorish Sierra Morena tour in spring" Almonaster la Real by angiebabe
Almonaster la Real Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 5 photos
Continuing on my drive around the Sierra Morena tour i stopped in to stay a night at this small town, recommended by the Rough Guidebook as one of the most interesting of the sierra villages as it has the supposed oldest mihrab - or moorish mosque - in Spain. Not only was i enjoying my freedom out and about in my rental car but the beauty of the area in full spring bloom was stunning and i was enjoying the cultural history of small villages with the quite distinct moorish look. each village had a moorish castle on its hill though altered by the Knights Templar taking over after the moorish leadership of Cordoba lost power.
Tidy and clean town with interesting buildings, andalucian and moorish look mixed, cobblestoned streets and sweet smelling roses and orange trees.
The ritual hike(or drive! but not in this case, small streets and only a few minutes from my hotel) up the hill to the castle of course is included in my tour! unfortunately the next day it was drizzling with moisture from the skies and the horizon was a bit foggy but still nice to be in andalucia!
Got in to see the mihrab - more moorish sights! - and around the castle and then found the small door behind leading up to the tower that looks out over the castle and down into the attached bullring.
- Pros:excellent restaurant at Hotel Casa Garcia with excellent choice of local produce and wines on the menu,
- Cons:none really for me on this visit
Yes, little Almonaster la Real has its own La Mezquita! Certainly not on the scale of the grande dame in Cordoba but has... more travel advice
angiebabe's Related Pages
Almonaster la Real Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Almonaster la Real
- 2 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Almonaster la Real?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Almonaster la Real
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 112 reviews, 425 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 97 reviews, 379 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 61 reviews, 256 photos, 7 travelogues
- Telouet Intro, 46 reviews, 243 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Merzouga Intro, 27 reviews, 166 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tafraoute Intro, 35 reviews, 139 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 31 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dilos Island Intro, 19 reviews, 134 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 19 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues